big wood vs. small wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

injun joe

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
do you guys prefer to get big rounds for firewood or small 1's . i myself prefer to get the big stuff just because they look good in the wood pile.

Gimme BIG wood

I like big wood also. I have been cutting alot of tops this year, and I find it quite time consuming vs. cutting down the whole tree. I find it is much faster to buck and split the stalk into a couple of (face) chords of wood, than the time it takes to cut up all the small stuff in the top to equal the same amount of wood.

TS:cheers:

I prefer smaller rounds aka chunks of firewood and bigger pieces. aka I dont like logs over 22" or so. Its hard for me to lift them up into the splitter and a pain to tip the splitter to vertical and try to get them to split esp if they are twisted junk wood like box elder. I prefer pieces that are 16" in diameter. Split it once and your good to go. Smaller rounds and bigger pieces of firewood. One split on a 16" diameter round will make 2 pieces about 8"x8"x18-20" long

I'll take any size thats free. I'm fortunate to have a 743 bobcat that does alot of lifting for me...

Just like my wife, I prefer the big wood.:jester: It just take way too long to cut up a tree top.

It depends, I like the bigger pieces for when it's colder out because they burn longer and smaller pieces for when it's a little chilly such as early spring or early fall. I don't mind big, it just means I get to run some of my bigger saws!:rock:

Personally I like them about 30 inchs or so. Knarlyer the better. When they are sheared instead of split with all the hair on them, don't even hardly need firestarter. Piece of paper and they are off their own kindling already on them. with my splitter I don't have to lift them and by just taking two pieces off the bottom of the block with each push it makes it easy for the larger rounds.

I certainly asked for that one didn't I. Note to self.....Careful what you type. A quick joke can backfire in this place.:taped:

I certainly asked for that one didn't I. Note to self.....Careful what you type. A quick joke can backfire in this place.:taped:

I had another one about being the butt of a joke queued up but deleted it. No sense in

:deadhorse:

Personally, I'm impressed with the good humor you've displayed. And I thank you for being a sacrificial lamb for our adolescent - though good-natured -japery. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back