Bigger is better!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lumberjackchef

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
After checking out all of the mew mills everyone has been making lately I figured I need a larger slabbing mill too. Here's a couple of pics of it so far. It can handle a 48"-50" bar. (36" in picture)
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Still have to fab the nose guard and modify a couple of other small things before I put it in the wood. I gotta get my 50" bar ordered soon before I lose out on this 40" DBH white oak log that's down from a recent storm in town.

After this project I'm thinking about making something like the Logosol Big Mill Basic setup
http://www.logosol.com/_sawmills/bigmillsystem/bigmill_basic.php
I think it has some advantages on small log applications. Anyway it'll keep my creative juices flowin'.

Good work LJC and good to see you using a wheel too.

The wheel you have will definitely help slabbing the top half of a log and cutting the flitches off the the log. If you ever have to slab the lower half of a log then that wheel may not contact the log (see picture). In these cases a wheel such as the blue wheel in the picture will help, but if you are thinking of using log rails on every slab it needs to be where the red wheel is located.

Finally got to test it out in some pine this evening. Love the wheel and the crank adjustments. Makes everything go a lot smoother! Ran out of light but not before I was able to get one 5' x 20"x 2" slab cut and a couple pics to go along with it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I think they will make some great looking tables. Lots of character and the next ones will have some cool looking shapes cause there are some bigger knots sticking out the lower I get on the log. The wheel made going over the irregularities in the log much much easier. Dial in a few more little tweaks and paint her up and I'll be in business! Thanks for all the ideas you guys rock!:rock:

Back