biggest tree fell?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullbuck

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
sounds like some of you guys are consistantly in large wood,wanted to hear about your biggest tree fell,(my record is 'clear'doug fir at 55"across and right at 140'full length,nothing compared to the coast)

52 in dbh basswood--hollow thru the center---75 foot tall. after delimbing, dropped it it one piece, no choice. when it hit, it bounced back up about two feet. left a nice furrow in the guys lawn!!!! made damn poor firewood!!!!!!

nice!as far as the crash they have trees here that i call 'sugar pine'but officially they are called white pine,but if you geat a good 3 footer with 9 inch limbs on the downhill side,ya nice and violent

Mostly worked the rigging but fell a few good sized one. Biggest I think a cedar about 10 foot, a few spruce in the 7 foot range. Yarded a few that were really big. Fir that was 12 foot, a couple spruce over 15 foot and a number of cedar between 14 and 16 foot. Also a couple 7 foot hemlock with one going 8 foot. That's a heavy piece of wood. I know one hemlock we yarded that was 7 foot by 32 feet long weighed in at 63,000.

There is a big doug fir on the upper east fork of the Humptulips growing on the edge of an avalanche shute. It sets on a big rock so everything slides under the limbs on one side. It has a limb that looks to be about 5 foot through. Not a sucker, a limb. It was there in 86 when I was hanging back near it.

impressive,kinda do it all in my business now and what i do know that i as of late load our 500 cat freight at 100,000 regularly for the 35 min.decent of 3000 plus feet and it looks big!63,000 for one log one seven footer?i think that would put our truck at maybe close too 100 thats fukn heavy!

I did a seven foot across cottonwood. The wind force from the top coming down was awesome. It blew leaves 50ft.

Scott

Biggest I've ever cut that got scaled was in 91, right before White Sand's Forest Products laid off the woods crew. It was a Doug Fir, scaled a little over 7200 bd. ft. A little over 6' at the stump. That was in Scott Able just before the enviro's shut us down.

Andy

Biggest tree I've fell was a cedar that was 14 ft across the butt. Quite a few spruce around 7-10ft. We were supposed to go into a valley in 05 that apparently had consistent spruce and cedar in the 15 ft range, but of course the camp got shut down before we got to go in there!

hey red as i remember it we took a load to bill during phase one of the sac river road project that scaled 7650 our record to date! probably 100,000gross, being mostly red fir,but it was multiple logs not one tree fukn impressive!

We yarded a big fir just a few miles from my house that had a gross scale in the butt cut of 10,500. I saw the scale slip. Wouldn't you know it, it was at the vey back end. Fought it every inch of the way up the hill to the landing. Then had to load it with the yarder. Tree only had three logs in it as it was broken off but it must have had in the neighborhood of 25,000 in it. Seen a few with that much but taller trees with more logs.
Best stand I ever logged was a patch of hemlock north of Lake Quinault. One small setting was only 2 1/2 acres. It had 600,000 on it. I'd call BS if I hadn't seen it. Every tree seemed to be 6 foot and sound. Very unusual for hemlock.

we dont have dense high volume stands like that here not enough rain,but we found a canyon way back on the reservation no stumps at all and i spent two days walking from five foot pondo to the next,big suckers i remember putting good notches in my limbs so they wouldnt split and clear me off the thing!we had scales on the truck back then and we one ended a 33'pondo log on the truck at 38,000

Yep, we don't have the timber they do in the PNW, that's for sure. But it's still fun to get into a few good ones here & there. :cheers:

Old Earl was there when I took that one, he laughed his azz off at me. We had been on a sale that should have been a thinning unit, and about to starve cutting by scale. When I cut that big Doug I took out 3 leave trees with it that scaled another 4000 or so ft.
FS was a little unhappy about that. I tried to convince PJ that the tree was too big, and I just lost it. But he just looked at me and said BS.:laugh:
The little slap on the wrist I got seemed worth it to have a decent check coming for a change. :D

Andy

short that reminds me of a story from back in 01'george said both trucks are coming back to load off of you and i had nothing at the road and about two hours to skid two loads!the pressure was on so i dove in found a good spot to deck and man i was bringing em in and about an hour in i got to thinking why are there no logs in this one area?so i get to looking around and i had dove right into a salamander area,they had marked the boundary with the same color paint as timberharvest boundary,honest mistake to me but f.s. seemed to take it personal i kid you not four trucks full of paperpushers rolled out next morning i didnt know if i was going to skid or prison?so i just kept movin they never tried to yank me out of my cage,wonder how much paperwork i created off that deal?lol:monkey:

Pictures anyone?

Not the tree in question, but the only pic I could find from back then.

MeBillyTommyJeb.jpg

Andy

Back