Birch trunk covered in webbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BonScott46

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have a birch (betula pendula i think) in my backyard here in southeren Sweden, it is about 2.5-3ft on the stump. I noticed today that the trunk as far as I can see up to at least 30ft is covered in fine webbing that runs vertically. When you look up the trunk it almost looks as thought it is cascading down. The webbing covers about 75+% of the trunk circumference. What the hell is this from? Some kind of caterpillar is what I am guessing? I have looked closely and can see do evidence of what is causing this. Maybe they started at the bottom and are working their way into the canopy?

First, great photos and I'm surprised no one has offered any suggestions.

I'm no expert but if it is some sort of caterpillar, I doubt the webbing itself would cause a problem. I'd be watching the foliage closely or try to contact a local arborist. Are there any local regulations about homeowners applying pesticides?

Maybe this bump will get someone else looking at the post.

Not worried so much about the webbing, more about what could make so much in such a short time. Foliage popped about a week ago. This tree gets hit every year with aphids and leaf miners but I have never seen this webbing before. I don't think spraying is an option.

Latest posts

Back