Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But you did bring up an interesting point. The stock saw will gain as it breaks in.....and I agree completely. But why do you think the ported saw will not gain as it breaks in?
I’m not saying the ported saw won’t gain too, not saying that at all. What I’m saying is for the R&D saw I feel, and this is just my opinion, that it should be completely broken in. This way when you are making changes, testing, changes, testing you can be 100% sure any gains are from your work and not from the saw breaking in. Then when no more gains can be achieved you can take those mods and claim you got X% gain over stock. I’m going to refer back to Scott’s thread again. His first 462 was getting small gains here and there, he came up with a final recipe with x% gain. Now when he did the second 462 with no prior running did he have the same x% gain? I could pretty much guarantee not because the r&d saw was run a lot. So how does he know what mods he did actually did much at all? How can you compare the torque when the saw is still breaking in? In my opinion torque is what is gained most from a broken in saw. It just makes a lot more sense to me to let the stock saw get what it’s gonna get after a few gallons of fuel before starting the R&D. This may be how you do it, I don’t know, but if I recall correctly, Scott started testing with a NIB saw. In the end though all this is pretty much irrelevant except when dikhead beats his chest and says I got a 30% gain when half or more is from the saw breaking in.

I’m not saying the ported saw won’t gain too, not saying that at all. What I’m saying is for the R&D saw I feel, and this is just my opinion, that it should be completely broken in. This way when you are making changes, testing, changes, testing you can be 100% sure any gains are from your work and not from the saw breaking in. Then when no more gains can be achieved you can take those mods and claim you got X% gain over stock. I’m going to refer back to Scott’s thread again. His first 462 was getting small gains here and there, he came up with a final recipe with x% gain. Now when he did the second 462 with no prior running did he have the same x% gain? I could pretty much guarantee not because the r&d saw was run a lot. So how does he know what mods he did actually did much at all? How can you compare the torque when the saw is still breaking in? In my opinion torque is what is gained most from a broken in saw. It just makes a lot more sense to me to let the stock saw get what it’s gonna get after a few gallons of fuel before starting the R&D. This may be how you do it, I don’t know, but if I recall correctly, Scott started testing with a NIB saw. In the end though all this is pretty much irrelevant except when dikhead beats his chest and says I got a 30% gain when half or more is from the saw breaking in.
I believe Scott had several sets of rings. Anytime he would question whether the saw was breaking in or not, he would put a new set of rings on it and test to compare times

I hear ya. I really do......but I just build new saws for customers. New being the key word.

I do have a 462 of my own that's bone stock....it's my baseline saw.

I believe Scott had several sets of rings. Anytime he would question whether the saw was breaking in or not, he would put a new set of rings on it and test to compare times
Thanks, that’s good to know and a smart thing to do. I believe a lot more breaks in besides rings though, everything down to the crank and bearings up to the piston pin and bearing. The whole saw is just stiff new.

Scott is without a doubt the most meticulous tester I've known. Like I've said......The Godfather of our business.

For my 661 to be within 1.5 seconds of his.......well boys, that makes me damn proud.

So......more ********.

I see. Everyone else does too Frankie.

I do have a 462 of my own that's bone stock....it's my baseline saw.

That’s exactly what I’m getting at and how I think a builder should operate. I’m sure said saw is fully broken in too! So.........what gain are you up to? Btw, you’ve done a **** load for these sites, it’s a shame dikheads have put a sour taste in your mouth. You know what that means? They’ve won.

Scott is without a doubt the most meticulous tester I've known. Like I've said......The Godfather of our business.

For my 661 to be within 1.5 seconds of his.......well boys, that makes me damn proud.

So......more ********.

I see. Everyone else does too Frankie.
Yah , Jacks email is [email protected] ... feel free to contact him at your earliest convenience regarding him sending you his latest psy-Ko SS version so that you can “silence all the doubters”. Let me know his response there slim ... I’ll be waiting ...

I agree. I'll spend a good while chasing his 661 too. Like we were talking...better to work together than compete

That’s exactly what I’m getting at and how I think a builder should operate. I’m sure said saw is fully broken in too! So.........what gain are you up to? Btw, you’ve done a **** load for these sites, it’s a shame dikheads have put a sour taste in your mouth. You know what that means? They’ve won.

I'm not sure about actual gains yet.

My baseline saw isn't really fully broken in yet. I think it takes 12 - 15 tanks to wake up completely.

I'm just adding a little compression, altering the transfer duration, timing advance and muffler mod.

Really simple things for now.

Yah , Jacks email is [email protected] ... feel free to contact him at your earliest convenience regarding him sending you his latest psy-Ko SS version so that you can “silence all the doubters”. Let me know his response there slim ... I’ll be waiting ...

What in the actual **** has Jack got to do with you sending one of your ported saws?

You really are ****ed up in the head dude.

I'm not sure about actual gains yet.

My baseline saw isn't really fully broken in yet. I think it takes 12 - 15 tanks to wake up completely.

I'm just adding a little compression, altering the transfer duration, timing advance and muffler mod.

Really simple things for now.
So when you come up with a final recipe, do these early customers send their saw back to you for the latest recipe?

So when you come up with a final recipe, do these early customers send their saw back to you for the latest recipe?

Some have...and sometimes that's the best sort of testing I can get.

But most of the saws I build are for tree services and loggers. They are tickled with how the saws run, and ain't concerned about a few percentage points. None of us have yet to see a tree with a stopwatch in it. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back