Black Cherry trees dying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liberty

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Why do all of my Black Cherry trees seem to be dying. They all have poor canopies with alot of dead branches. Diameters range from 2 feet to 10 inches. I am located in Orange County NY. Thanks

A lot of Black cherry (Prunus Serotina) are dying as a result of Black Knot, a type of disease that creates a bulge on branches, and the eastern tent catapillar can also cause mortal injury to black cherry trees. The most common disease is Cherry Leaf Spot. Black Cherry Trees also thrive in very acidic soils, Ive noticed black cherry trees dying when surrounded by lawn. They are also not shade tolerant, and are not competative with other speices of trees. Hope this helps!

A lot of Black cherry (Prunus Serotina) are dying as a result of Black Knot, a type of disease that creates a bulge on branches, and the eastern tent catapillar can also cause mortal injury to black cherry trees. The most common disease is Cherry Leaf Spot. Black Cherry Trees also thrive in very acidic soils, Ive noticed black cherry trees dying when surrounded by lawn. They are also not shade tolerant, and are not competative with other speices of trees. Hope this helps!

Strongly disagree. Black knot does not kill trees, it does ruin the timber value and make them look terrible though. Tent Cats, almost never kill cherries (or apples), however, severe infestations can predispose the tree to other problems. Poor soil, senescence (these trees are relatively short lived), abuse of roots, and storm damage are probably the main causes of death for them.

Liberty, as another poster pointed out these are a shortlived species. They are also subject to a staggering array of diseases and insects. Without pictures we are all basically guessing.

Although I agree with WW in that the Black walnuts should have made their presence known earlier in the black cherries' lives, when you say "alot" how many and how far away? How old are they, in an established plantation or forest or new plantings?

Are your black cherries in a field, a lawn, how are they watered, etc?

What these replies point out is that there is very rarely "one" thing that causes a tree's decline and death but a build up of many issues.

Please post pictures.

Sylvia

Last edited:
They are growing randomly with the Walnuts and are growing wildly in the forest. They were not planted. They are native to the area. I wiil post some pictures

Check the trunks and branches a little closer and you might notice a jelly like substance (gummosis). This would indicate the peach tree borer and usually the culprit in the demise of Prunus in this neck of the woods. Drought, tent cats., predetermined life span, etc. or all together may contribute to weakening that predisposes the tree to borer attack. Once heavily infested it is usually the beginning of the end.

PS. Have witnessed MANY ornamental plums (Prunus) killed by Black Knot.

Strongly disagree. Black knot does not kill trees, it does ruin the timber value and make them look terrible though.

Sure it can. If the disease becomes progressively worse during each growing season it can stunt or even kill a tree.
If pruning and sanitation are ignored fungicides offer little protection against black knot. Since your trees are in a wooded area it is unlikely you are practicing sanitation.

look for this on the twig
attachment.php

Remember, Treevet...
What these replies point out is that there is very rarely "one" thing that causes a tree's decline and death but a build up of many issues.
Sylvia

:clap:

Sure it can. If the disease becomes progressively worse during each growing season it can stunt or even kill a tree.
If pruning and sanitation are ignored fungicides offer little protection against black knot. Since your trees are in a wooded area it is unlikely you are practicing sanitation.

look for this on the twig
attachment.php

Remember, Treevet... (Many things usually kill a tree)

:clap:

Duuuuh! Profound revelations from 2 posters

Here are some pictures, Not sure if they help. I also have one that I could not load. It shows sap coming out of many liitle holes all over the tree.

You said that these are growing wild in the forest. Is this your private property or community owned? How traveled is it? It looks like there is a ladder in one of the pictures.

I can't tell what killed (is killing) these trees from these pictures. However, it looks like young saplings are coming up. I would cut down the old dying ones to remove hazards and allow light for the young ones to come in.

Many diseases and insects become problematic as trees age and become stressed and can, in fact, be the normal cycling.

Sylvia

dead trees

Why do all of my Black Cherry trees seem to be dying. They all have poor canopies with alot of dead branches. Diameters range from 2 feet to 10 inches. I am located in Orange County NY. Thanks

this is what id do id cut all them up for firewood:greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

This is my property of about 20 wooded acres surrounding it. My plan is to take them down. Just wondering if there was a way to salvage them. I guess not. Thanks

Back