Black cottonwood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArtB

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Is there any black cottonwood worth to leave standing once it has dropped a big limb.. Seattle WA area.

I'v dropped 2 in the back yard in the last few years (one a 168 ft tall behemoth as measured when dropped, (someone on this board at the time told me that was bigger than biggest recorded BC on the internet?); dropped it cause that baby that had dropped 1/2 ton 'branches' one of which about wiped out my pumphouse.

I don't let the grandkids play under the remaining 2 biggun's if there is any wind, but 10 years ago did hear the big one before it had dropped any big branches make sounds for about 2 minutes like the neighbor shooting target arrows -- 30 sec later 1/2 ton of 8" dia limb dropped on a calm summer day.

2 big BC left, only about 140 ft tall, 42 and 46 DBH, neither have yet dropped anything over 4" dia.

Was thinking about dropping them this spring before the leaves come out, but they are still about the biggest trees in 5 miles, and I kinda like them. One however could hit the house during a '62 or '92 PNW magnitude windstorm.

Opinions?? Just thought of posting this but getting on a plane tomorrow, can post pix next weekend if I get any responses.

I hate cottonwoods.
I cut down the two that were on my place two years ago. :chainsaw:
My neighbors cottonwoods still send their leaves, branches and cotton over to my place. :censored:
Last summer, a branch the size of a small tree fell out of my neighbors tree and onto his truck, denting the back of the cab pretty good. It was a calm sunny day, with just a slight breeze from the north.
I am a propane delivery driver and I can't tell you how many customers have had property damage(fences, gates, buildings, vehicle, etc) from cottonwood trees dropping their limbs.

Cottonwoods suck. I've got a buddy who will soon find out just how bad.
Lightning strike on a 30"+ tree leaning over his house. The clock is ticking.

Mark

Latest posts

Back