black spots on Gleditsia triacanthos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treevet

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Working on an estate of a 30 year established client I encountered these spots on most of the approx. 15 trees we pruned. There was an unusually large amount of deadwood (even for a Honey locust) and these spots gave the impression of being the culprit along with no other immediate suspect or situation to blame.

I am used to seeing spots with exudate (borers) on H. locust but none were
attachment.php
to be found, just these flat black spots everywhere. I have sent pictures to 3 university professors and disease experts and 2 of the 3 have responded with no immediate identification. I am going to send some samples to Ohio State tomorrow.

Has anyone seen this and identified it?

It is not a very damp area and we have had a relatively dry spring to date. I am going to dissect to see if any dead tissue is under these spots. They definitely seemed to have a relation to the deadwood but that may have been happenstance. Just thought someone might say ....bingo...been there, done that.

Had a number of OSU Extension Agents on weekly conference call take a look at the picts (along with other business) and come up with nada. Also had 2 other PhD's have a look at the photos. I am going to send some samples in for further review.

Had a number of OSU Extension Agents on weekly conference call take a look at the picts (along with other business) and come up with nada. Also had 2 other PhD's have a look at the photos. I am going to send some samples in for further review.
Man, if the BYGLers couldn't help, who can?

The clinic I hope Guy. It is in the mail.

If you were to rate a client from 1 to 10 on high profile....this one rates an eleven.

Latest posts

Back