Blake's Hitch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my new guys are always taught the taut line first ( 3 under and 1 over)-- using a single 5/8 true blue or 1/2 blue streak life line. when they can use that efficiently... and understand the way the knot works... then they can use any other knot they want.

Thats not crazy at all. Learn the basics first. I teach the taught line as 2 under 2 over though. Its not much good but its a must know. You can tie it one handed.

Thanks for all the input guys, turns out i was just setting the knot wrong. the lean back and pull on the running end coming out of the friction hitch. dar.

my new guys are always taught the taut line first ( 3 under and 1 over)-- using a single 5/8 true blue or 1/2 blue streak life line. when they can use that efficiently... and understand the way the knot works... then they can use any other knot they want.

yeah, that's not crazy. i got a climbing kit (with VT setup)and to be honest with you i like the idea that if need be i can switch back to traditional (should the fecal matter hit the fan). as a beginner in anything a good basic foundation is key. not to mention the traditional is a good thing to know if ya wanted to use the running end of your rope for a second tie in.

Remember the stopper knot... Doesn't have to be a figure 8, a simple over hand knot will do... ;)

Absolutely. A stopper knot is always a good idea. Just a good habit to be in. I sure never seen one bother anything.

Back