Blake's slipping.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9th year rookie

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I just retired my 1/2" 16-strand ArborMaster and orderd a new climbing line.
It was getting old and beat-up anyway, but lately/last few climbs, my friction hitch (I use Blakes) was starting to slip on me.
I haven't changed anything in my system since this started.
I'd be sitting there suspended in the tree and just start to slide a few inches before I'd grab the tail (where you put the stopper knot) and tighten up. Scared the *** out of me. Noticed it all day not tightening up the way it usually would.
Also, it seemed to make a "chalky" sound, like it was dried out or something. not sure how else to descripe it.

Any input/comments would be appreciated.

The first time that happened to me it scared me plenty. Instead of grabbing the tail of the knot, I grabbed the rope just under the knot and gave it a hard right-angle kink, and then bounced a bit to further load the knot. It worked. I don't use the Blakes anymore, but other knots will also slip from time to time. The same maneuver seems to work in every case...

Might need to cut off tail or get a new split tail. When the tail gets glazed I'vr seen it slip. If the rope is good don't throw it out, try washing it soap and water and good rinse/air dry. Ive seen guys who climb on a tautline who tie a marlin spike under th e friction hitch and let it come up against the bottom of the knot as not to slip.
corey

Latest posts

Back