Blew up stihl 028 super, debating fixing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New to the forums. I've been reading a bunch on here and it's been helpful.

I picked up an 028 super last night, was gonna get it for 50 bucks, started up alright, ran okay, seemed a little off but it had been sitting. Blew up within two minutes and I got it free. Piston hits top of cylinder, obviously something let go in the bottom end. I'm not sure where to get reasonably priced parts but if it's worth going through I would like to make a little project out of it since I've almost got my other project finished for now (79 z28 camaro).
Anyway I have nothing into the saw, got it for free because I bought a nice 024 super instead for the same price.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Tyler
THERE ARE AFTER MARKET PARTS ON THE WEB ,FIRST THINGS FIRST PULL THE SAW APART, AFTER A GOOD CLEANING, OUTSIDE SURFACES, Pull covers exhaust carburetor careful with intake boot fuel tank then cylinder assembly and piston take the flywheel and clutch and drive gear and the oil pump off you will need a case splitter or a heat gun and you'll have to heat up the area for the bearing journals and with a soft machinist Hammer tap the crankshaft out if the piston is hitting the top of the cylinder you either got a wrist pin failure at the top end of the rod or crank failure if the chassis of the saws and very good shape you can get aftermarket parts for it made by tacomic and Italian company and meteor piston and cylinder company the parts to fix that saw main bearings crank seals top end gasket kit going to run you a good 350 bucks

I'm fairly certain that if I fry my 028 super, I'll rebuild and have it ported. It's a SUPER saw
b267f4fd2d74f331b2fda0d57fd45bb0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Back