Block heaters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madman Mark

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
If I'm not going to use my tractor for a week is it safe to leave it plugged in all week ?
Most days and nights are below freezing here this time of year.

I never have had to use one, but I will offer an answer.

If the block heater doesn't get the block over its operating temp, then what would it hurt. If it does, then it could hurt the oil, or cause the coolant to boil.

I don't think it will hurt anything to leave it on forever. Mabye your electric bill a little!:D

Carl

It's a waste of electricity. Big waste.

What size engine is in your tractor?

I had a grapple truck with a 500CI V8 diesel, I put block heaters on both sides. In a smaller engine with lower compression one is all you should need.

My big truck would be plugged into a timing box that I hardwired into an outlet. When we were going to work the next day I would set the timer to turn on no more than four, and generally three, hours before we started work. The engines started right up.

I live in Minneapolis so I know cold. Some nights were well below zero with morning temps maybe -5 F.

Tom

I`ve found synthetic oil to be as helpful as a block heater in most cases. Makes cranking alot easier.

Good glow plugs make a huge difference also. My small Ford 1720, 3cylinder diesel, has started at -30° F with nothing more than a double cycle of the glows plugs and about 1/8 throttle.

All the bigger diesels I have to worry about have block heaters, glow plugs, manifold heaters, or waterjacket(block) heaters that also heat the intake manifold via the coolant passages. Getting the fuel warm enough is half the battle in some cases. I`ve seen engines that needed a heat lamp on the manifold to get them to fire and low compression actually makes them harder to start.

As Tom pointed out, use a timer. Most block heaters are between 1000 and 1500 watts which is 1 - 1.5 kw/hr, right? To me, that means 12 to 18 cents an hour to operate, and that`s if there isn`t an auxiliary pump hooked to it. That`s $2.88 - $4.32 per day if left on continuously.

Russ

Back