Fighting with a Jonesred 70E

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InDaWoods

Reaction score
Hey, new here been reading this forum for years and using it for info. Been doing trees for about 10 years now. Running an old 70 E currently. Runs like a bat out of hell. Except I loaned it out to a fellow logger for a few days cause his Husky died and now I’m getting no spark. Tried a new plug (old one was fouled) wires look fine, pulled the recoil off but can’t seem to get the aluminum fan off. Nut came off, fan won’t budge, can’t get in there to shine the contacts up with emory cloth. Is there some trick to this I’m missing? Never had to disassemble this bugger so far. Always ran fine for me.

Last time I loan a saw out. Leaking oil into the crank case now too. I have no idea what happened to it over the space of a week but whoa-a.

Any help or tricks to try would be appreciated. Thanks all.

Hey, new here been reading this forum for years and using it for info. Been doing trees for about 10 years now. Running an old 70 E currently. Runs like a bat out of hell. Except I loaned it out to a fellow logger for a few days cause his Husky died and now I’m getting no spark. Tried a new plug (old one was fouled) wires look fine, pulled the recoil off but can’t seem to get the aluminum fan off. Nut came off, fan won’t budge, can’t get in there to shine the contacts up with emory cloth. Is there some trick to this I’m missing? Never had to disassemble this bugger so far. Always ran fine for me.

Last time I loan a saw out. Leaking oil into the crank case now too. I have no idea what happened to it over the space of a week but whoa-a.

Any help or tricks to try would be appreciated. Thanks all.
Welcome to the site. First if your 70E has an aluminum cooling fan there is nothing under the flywheel so there is no point in removing it. The E means electronic ign. and on the early 70E there is a SEM module under the flywheel but these had plastic fans and a recoil cover mounted spark coil. The later aluminum fan model has a cyl mounted spark coil and a "Trigger" mounted under the carb. Make certain this is connected and grounded properly. I have been told you can replace these triggers with a common points elimination module but I have never done it. Of course these triggers are NLA like everything else for the 70E. Make sure the coil has 0.012" air gap to the flywheel magnets and make certain that the connector to the spark plug is making contact with the wire core. Also disconnect the kill switch and see if that makes any difference .
Loaning a saw you can't get parts for is not a good plan........generally if a fella has a dead saw he may have had something to do with it.

Welcome to the site. First if your 70E has an aluminum cooling fan there is nothing under the flywheel so there is no point in removing it. The E means electronic ign. and on the early 70E there is a SEM module under the flywheel but these had plastic fans and a recoil cover mounted spark coil. The later aluminum fan model has a cyl mounted spark coil and a "Trigger" mounted under the carb. Make certain this is connected and grounded properly. I have been told you can replace these triggers with a common points elimination module but I have never done it. Of course these triggers are NLA like everything else for the 70E. Make sure the coil has 0.012" air gap to the flywheel magnets and make certain that the connector to the spark plug is making contact with the wire core.
Cool. I’ll try that. Thanks. This thing is piggishly dirty, I had wondered if something was’t making contact. I’ll clean it up and check all those.

And yeah I know, I usually don’t loan them out. Usually hes pretty on the ball but hes getting to be pretty old and I think hes kinda slipping. The oil business is concerning. Its EVERYWHERE. Leaking out of the muffler, underneath the cylinder. I dunno what happened but holy crap. Inside of the cylinder is clean as a whistle though 🤷‍♂️

And yeah I know, I usually don’t loan them out. Usually hes pretty on the ball but hes getting to be pretty old and I think hes kinda slipping. The oil business is concerning. Its EVERYWHERE. Leaking out of the muffler, underneath the cylinder. I dunno what happened but holy crap. Inside of the cylinder is clean as a whistle though 🤷‍♂️

He didn't put bar oil in the fuel tank did he?

He didn't put bar oil in the fuel tank did he?
Oh man, I’m going to have to check that tomorrow…good gods I hope not lol…I know hes been complaining this past year about getting “bad gas” and constantly blowing out his fuel filters. I gave him a jug of my mix to use as opposed to his. Maybe hes completely lost it and hes mixing with bar oil. He gave me the jug back, said he refilled it but I dumped it out and cleaned the jug due to what hes been saying. Should have paid more attention I guess and checked it before I dumped.

Latest posts

Back