Stihl 076 AV Super- Running Problems (help needed)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steck

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have an 076 AV Super that has been a fantastic saw the last couple of years. I use it primarily for milling but it gets used for really big firewood stuff now and then. I was finishing up a job today so last night I did the usual prep, sharpened the chain, etc and it ran fine. I only ran it a few seconds just wanted to make sure it would start and it fired right up. Today I got about 2/3 through my first slab and it started acting up. It bogged down and would bog or shut off if I tried to give it throttle off idle. I was also really concerned because there was white smoke coming from the fan/electrical side. I knew the saw wasn’t running lean or hot so that it would cause that. I changed the plug and let it cool down. I finished the pass and started another one, saw was running well. But it wasn’t long before it did the same thing. Bogged down and wouldn’t come off idle. This time it was done. I can get it to idle but that’s about it. Even after letting it cool off, it runs ok for about 10 seconds and then craps out. I couldn’t finish the cut. One thing I noticed in addition to the hot white smoke coming out the fan side vent, was that the usual RPM governor seemed to be non existent. If you can coax it into running, it would spin free, higher than the usual governed 9-9400 and then it would crap out. So I think I have an electronic ignition issue. Sadly I don’t know much about this governor and electronic ignition system on this saw. What do you guys think it could be? Can I get parts? If I can’t find the exact NOS parts, what will work? I wanted to keep this thing original but I’m open to scrapping the governor system and just doing what will get me back milling asap.

Before doing anything, check the skirt on the exhaust side of the piston.

Once you’ve confirmed that, get it running with an inline tester on. As soon as it dies, try to check for spark.

Also check with the gap at 6mm.

If it’s not sparking, it could be the coil, it could be damaged wiring. Check wires first, if all ok, I’d suggest checking the spring in the Ht lead. If it all checks out good and still no spark, swap the coil.

I would be checking the whole saw first. Piston condition, vacuum and pressure test, fuel system, etc.
Unless they were changed at some point, the governor was in the carburetor. Sounds like a fuel restriction. Fuel, filter, hose, inlet screen, carburetor internals. Also prone to air leaks at the intake gaskets and cylinder gasket.
Start with engine condition, and move up. With an electronic ignition rule everything else out first.

Thank you to all who have posted replies here. I’ve been extremely busy and haven’t gotten around to anything yet. av8or3, if I determine it’s an issue with the coil I will reach out. Thank you.

Latest posts

Back