blower cycles on/off every frequently

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gobucks07

gobucks07

ArboristSite Lurker
I have a new Clayton model 1600. I've been burning non-stop for about 2 weeks now in the new furnace. The blower is cycling on and off frequently and only runs for about 10 seconds each time it's on, even though I have a good roaring fire. I have the thermodisc with the A/B/C/D/E settings and I've tried each of these with the same results. Any idea what the problem is? Is my thermodisc broke? I maintain very good, hot fires with dry wood so I don't think that's the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

JeffHK454

JeffHK454

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I also have a 1600M Clayton with the 5 position thermodisc but mine performs as it should.

Give USSC a call , the part # for the disc is 80388 and they have a 2 year warranty from date of purchase.

When I bought my add-on the fan ran from the minute I hooked up voltage to it and thru the breaker!.... gave USSC a call and they sent me a new one.

USSC..1-800-750-2723

Jeff

gobucks07

gobucks07

ArboristSite Lurker
Thanks

Thanks, I sent an email to US Stove and they replied and had me bypass it to test it and said they'd send me a new one.

BTW, is the "A", "B", "C", "D" and "E" just to set the thermostat temp for when blower should start running?

Thanks.

JeffHK454

JeffHK454

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Actually each letter corresponds with a range ......

"A"= coolest on and off temps.....like blower kicks on at 150* surface temp of fire box and kicks off at 100*. In the "A" position your wood burner will be running all the time and blowing "warm" air at best. The "degrees" I used in the previous sentence are for reference only as I lost the chart that USSC sent me with my new disc, so if they give you a chart please post it ..:hmm3grin2orange:

"E" is the hot end of the spectrum which runs much less but delivers "HOT" air! In this position too much heat goes out the flue for my liking , I prefer the "C" or "D" .

Jeff

EastwoodGang4

EastwoodGang4

ArboristSite Operative
duct work

Hey fellas.. i have a ussc 1557. similar to what you guys have. my question is how hot does your ductwork for you house get?? sometimes my ductwork is so hot i can't touch it. is this normal? i'll run my normal gas furnace fan just to cool the ductwork. the fans on the wood burner run constantly and i don't have an adjustable thermodisc. just wondering if mine is like everyone else's. thanks

JeffHK454

JeffHK454

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Hey fellas.. i have a ussc 1557. similar to what you guys have. my question is how hot does your ductwork for you house get?? sometimes my ductwork is so hot i can't touch it. is this normal? i'll run my normal gas furnace fan just to cool the ductwork. the fans on the wood burner run constantly and i don't have an adjustable thermodisc. just wondering if mine is like everyone else's. thanks

What turns your fan on ? When I have mine coaled up my duct work gets hot also but not to the point that I feel it's unsafe in any way. Do you have a magnetic temp gauge , if so what temps are you running at the flue ,you could also use the same thermometer to get a rough idea of duct temps.

I would think that your house is mighty hot correct, and wood consumption a little high?

I don't know how similar the operation of the 1557 and the 1600 are but I would think a thermodisc from my model could be easily adapted to control your fans.

Jeff

EastwoodGang4

EastwoodGang4

ArboristSite Operative
fans

the wood burner fans are turned on by a single setting thermodisc. i think the parameters are 150 on and 100 off. the A setting on the clayton. the clayton model is a nicer stove imo, with a few more features. the fan for the gas furnace is manually turned on by me. I am guessing the ductwork reaches 150-170, which is understandable because of the thermodisc setting. It's never been hot enough to sizzle any skin but it's far hotter than the gas furnace makes it. The magnetic flue thermometer i have is a Rutland brand and i am able to keep it in the "burn" zone with some minor attention. I have burned approx 5-6 cords since october and the average house temp is 76 deg. all of which i assume is normal. To me it seems that the fans on the woodstove aren't big enough to move the air efficiently. I've considered upgrading to a substantially larger fan with a little mickey mouse engineering. but i guess if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Latest posts