Blown piston in my 5100

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SQUASHED................................

Well that would depend on which generation PS5100 you were comparing to... Early saws used a metal base gasket that was thinner than the latter production PS5100's that used a fiber gasket....

Scott

Fixed it for you Scott:hmm3grin2orange:

SQUISH................................

Well that would depend on which generation PS5100 you were comparing to... Early saws used a metal base gasket that was thinner than the latter production PS5100's that used a fiber gasket....

Scott

What I referred to was about changes to the 5105, not the 5100S.

Not straight gassed contaminated gas all the grey gunk is from H2O.....

Gotta Love that CORN FUEL Lets Continue to subsidize the Midwest CORN growers

Scott

All saw models "blow up" for such reasons now and then - but that has nothing to do with the topic in this thread! ;)

Is that timing change enough to make the saws run well when set at below 13,800 rpm?

Someone said that the squish was larger than it used to be as well - isn't that true? :confused:

The squish on my new 5105 is about 40 thou, I don't know what the 5100's were. Maybe someone will chime in. I decreased it by about 15 but have not run it in any wood yet.

Peak, no load rpm doesn't mean anything as far as reliability (apart from of course tuning) as the saw won't be pulling anywhere near that in the wood anyway.

Peak, no load rpm doesn't mean anything as far as reliability (apart from of course tuning) as the saw won't be pulling anywhere near that in the wood anyway.

It actually tells a lot about of how rich or lean the carb is set - how could that info escape you?????:confused:

It actually tells a lot about of how rich or lean the carb is set - how could that info escape you?????:confused:

Um, rev limited coils tend to wreck your theory. Same goes for the 7900, hence tuning in the cut is the best method for these saws. On non rev limited saws you are indeed correct.
I ain't as think as you dumb I am :cheers:

Last edited:
Approx. what is the cost of OEM P/C for a 5100---5105? I've checked Baileys and they don't seem to offer them. Also what's a fair price on a 5100---5105 that needs a P/C. I'm kinda looking for a project this winter.

Approx. what is the cost of OEM P/C for a 5100---5105? I've checked Baileys and they don't seem to offer them. Also what's a fair price on a 5100---5105 that needs a P/C. I'm kinda looking for a project this winter.

Depends where you're getting them from.

Up here, an OEM from the dealer is almost as much as the saw ($349 if i remember correctly).

On ebay I think you can get an OEM for just shy of $200.

Im not sure if there's even any after-market P&C available for this saw yet. Ive not seen any anyway.

Depends where you're getting them from.

Up here, an OEM from the dealer is almost as much as the saw ($349 if i remember correctly).

On ebay I think you can get an OEM for just shy of $200.

Im not sure if there's even any after-market P&C available for this saw yet. Ive not seen any anyway.

Strange indeed. There must be a gold mine to be earned out there with all these saws blowing up!

:popcorn:

PS5100/PS5105 Piston and Cylinder assembly sells for $187.92

Deco Version Piston and Cylinder sell for $206.86 Plus $14.60 for deco valve

Base gasket comes with P&C Assy

Scott

Here's something to think about.... U buy a blown up PS5100s for $150 plus shipping, so ur almost up to $200 spent. Then u spend another $200 on a piston and cylinder, so ur into it for $400. Why do all that when u can still purchase a NEW PS5100s for $400. I know everybody has a different situation, but think about it. The Cutting Edge had 4 in stock before I bought mine. I know the other idea is u spend a little bit here then the rest later instead of the $400 plus tax at once.

Back