Blue Spruce trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pj

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I live in central East Tennessee. I want to plant a six foot Blue Spruce as a memorial to a friend. It will be planted on a golf course along the fairway near his home. No irrigation will be available. 1. What should I expect to pay for a tree this size?
2. When would be the best time to plant it? 3. What kind of fertilizer should I use, if any?

Here in VA about $70 for a six footer. Early spring is fine that is when there are available to choose from. Skip the fert.

Studies have shown when we fert. trees they tend to be more desirable to insects and disease as a food source. Who will be installing the tree?

If you contract that out you should specify that the installer remove the top half of the burlap and wire cage. Also that the root crown is slightly above grade and visable. And have them mulch to the drip line with no more than 3" of mulch.

Since it is going into a golf course. Get one harvested with a tree spade just prior to moving, vice B&B stock. Use the biggest spade that can be used in the planting site.

As Jay says the root crown shopuld be excivated , I would add that this should be done prior to harvest.

Lastly, colorado spruce does not do well in areas with poor drainage, it should eb placed on high ground, and have soem radial trenches dug after instalation. A stump grinder or trencher could be used for this.

What about the fert John? The way golf courses fert their greens do you think the trees will get enough?

Ubetcha! I dont beleive in high N ferts anyways, proper mulching should do the job needed.

The biggest limiting facttor in transplanting a healthy tree is water. they get either too much or too little.

Back