Boom!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klickitatsacket

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Winlock, Wa. under the shadow of Mt. St. Helens
WOW! Check this out guys. This is the first time I have ever had this happen to me. What do you think? 10 hrs on the saw. It ran extremely well. This is the saw that cut me out of town one night during the storm. It was a modified saw. The owner said it was running well and then jsut quit. When we pulled it down tonight the flange was still bolted to the crankcase but after taking the muffler off the cylinder was a "little loose"
cylinder_0800.jpg

When we pulled it down tonight the flange was still bolted to the crankcase but after taking the muffler off the cylinder was a "little loose"...

LOL! That's kinda like saying Britney Spears is "a little loose." :laugh:

Good pic though...thanks.

I would have thought it would have broke the piston
in little pieces before it ever knocked the cylinder off.

The break is nice and uniform, from side to side

What's the top of the piston look like? Any erosion, evidence of detonation? What about the sparky?

Does the sparkplug have any aluminum fused to the porcelain? Might have to look with a magnifier.

spark plug was nice and tan with no signs of problems. the chunk that was blown out ended up all over including the muffler and crank case as well as a few pieces on top. The combustion chamber looked normal. (I would post a picture but the transfer software for my camera is acting up again) That piece looks like it got smashed between the exhaust port and piston both on the skirt and on top.

So if the combustion chamber showed no signs of impact
and the plug showed no signs of detonation
piston failure? Shrapnel in the port caused the cylinder to separate?
that's all I can think of.

The saw shown is mine and it ran like a scalded dog up to the point of explosion. I appreciate all of the feedback in an effort to help find out what the hell went on. Dean, one hell of saw!

WOW! Check this out guys. This is the first time I have ever had this happen to me. What do you think? 10 hrs on the saw. It ran extremely well. This is the saw that cut me out of town one night during the storm. It was a modified saw. The owner said it was running well and then jsut quit. When we pulled it down tonight the flange was still bolted to the crankcase but after taking the muffler off the cylinder was a "little loose"

Looks like Mt St Helens after she blew her top...

Back