bore attack after cambistat treatment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcplace

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought a house last Oct. and of course the trees all looked the same (no leaves). The one in the back yard is a 72 inch in diameter green ash as best as I can determine from looking on the INTERNET. The tree was obviously injured in an ice storm we had a couple of years ago and had been cut back. I found a tag on the tree "TGR CAMBISTAT 2010". I went on line and found this site. I've tried calling several tree services to come and look at the tree. I have bores in the tree. I've put down Bayer systemic insecticide ground drench; I've inserted Medicap systemic insecticide around the base of the tree and about 6 feet up on the trunk; i inserted medicap fertilizer caps around the base of the tree; I've dug in 9 4 inch inground fertilizer stakes; I've sprayed the tree with spectracide insecticide several times. I don't want to loose this tree. Since the tree services all seem busy I've started cutting off dead limbs to reduce the insect population. I'm old and not able to get up high so some of the dead limbs are beyond my reach.
From your knowledge and experience is this an uphill battle with low probability of success.

I bought a house last Oct. and of course the trees all looked the same (no leaves). The one in the back yard is a 72 inch in diameter green ash as best as I can determine from looking on the INTERNET. The tree was obviously injured in an ice storm we had a couple of years ago and had been cut back. I found a tag on the tree "TGR CAMBISTAT 2010". I went on line and found this site. I've tried calling several tree services to come and look at the tree. I have bores in the tree. I've put down Bayer systemic insecticide ground drench; I've inserted Medicap systemic insecticide around the base of the tree and about 6 feet up on the trunk; i inserted medicap fertilizer caps around the base of the tree; I've dug in 9 4 inch inground fertilizer stakes; I've sprayed the tree with spectracide insecticide several times. I don't want to loose this tree. Since the tree services all seem busy I've started cutting off dead limbs to reduce the insect population. I'm old and not able to get up high so some of the dead limbs are beyond my reach.
From your knowledge and experience is this an uphill battle with low probability of success.

It sounds to me as if some of your treatments could well be more damaging than beneficial.

Depending on the formulation, the fertilizer could push lush top growth (which bugs love) while ignoring or depressing new root growth. Few mature trees benefit from big doses of fertilizer.

I'm assuming the Medicap systemic insecticide you mentioned means you're drilling into the trunk of the tree to medicate. This is damaging to the tree, as these new wounds can now begin to decay, and the tree must allocate resources to attempt to compartmentalize and seal over the wounds from drilling. If your dosage of the bayer product was correct, then the second treatment may have done little or no good anyway.

Pics of the tree would help get more insight on this forum. And you probably need to hire someone who IS busy. Be patient and persistent in getting a qualified pro onsite to help. This is a busy time of year for most of us.

"A 72 inch in diameter green ash" would be the world record. Please- circumference.

Looks like the CAMBISTAT growth regulator is working, tree apears to be establishing a new crown.

Do you see a continued progression of decline? Live...declining...dead?

Have the borers treated and tree fertilized professionally.

By looking at the pics I would say it's worth trying to save.

Get that hazardous deadwood pruned out before someone gets a headache.

Thanks

"A 72 inch in diameter green ash" would be the world record. Please- circumference.

Looks like the CAMBISTAT growth regulator is working, tree apears to be establishing a new crown.

Do you see a continued progression of decline? Live...declining...dead?

Have the borers treated and tree fertilized professionally.

By looking at the pics I would say it's worth trying to save.

Get that hazardous deadwood pruned out before someone gets a headache.

I'm trying to get someone out to look at the tree and get to the top where I can't reach to get rid of the dead wood. Seems all the folks in this area are busy claeaning up storm damage. Oh well I'll keep trying and see what I can do.

green ash

The insect exit holes appear to be from the ash/lilac borer, and I don't beleive the Bayer product will do any good on that one. A permethrin type prodoct needs to be sprayed on the trunk. I beleive it would be to late to spray where your located. This brings up a whole new subject on this-you've been poking, drilling, and soaking etc with really no clue on what's going on with the tree if I read your post right. You need to figure it out first on what's the real problem is and tackle that issue, alot of the other issues are secondary or Johnney come lately problems that will go away once the primary one is taken care of-------------

exit holes

What exit holes, please.

there are 100's of exit holes trust me. When I saw the carcasses that were left behind I knew there was a problem. As you suggested I may be part of the problem. I just want to save my tree. It is 71 inch in circumference green ask and will provide wonderful shade again. I've contacted one "recommended" Arborist who is too busy and said to wait till winter. I need to get the rotten limbs trimed so no one gets a headache from a falling branch. I bought a Ryobi eletric
purnning 8in chain saw and have been cutting what I can reach put I'm too old to play around in the upper parts of the tree. If I wait till winter whoever is prunning wont be able to see which branches need to be cut back. I called a tree recommended by the 1st one I called and am waiting for a call back. I'm just trying here.

The insect exit holes appear to be from the ash/lilac borer, and I don't beleive the Bayer product will do any good on that one. A permethrin type prodoct needs to be sprayed on the trunk. I beleive it would be to late to spray where your located. This brings up a whole new subject on this-you've been poking, drilling, and soaking etc with really no clue on what's going on with the tree if I read your post right. You need to figure it out first on what's the real problem is and tackle that issue, alot of the other issues are secondary or Johnney come lately problems that will go away once the primary one is taken care of-------------

I did spray with permethrin following direction on 38% bottle about a month and a half ago. I can do it again if I need??

Latest posts

Back