Bow bar numbers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Hur

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
90F151FD-D5AF-4599-AD40-269596F391BF.jpeg What do the 3 different numbers mean on this bow bar?
3/11
Thanks.

I do not have a clue. Only the .050 would be the width of the rail I guess.
I just wanted to know what is it for? Second time I see this type of monster in a week (might be the same).

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk

I got 3 different bow bars and trying to figure out which one works best with a 056
B5EF8026-DEA3-440B-8472-C32DC540BCD8.jpeg

I don't know anything at all about Bow bars, but i do have a question about them if anyone knows?

I've always been curious why were they even invented?
What was the actual purpose for them?

My understanding, which might be wrong, is that they were used a lot in the south for pulpwood?

I'm just curious what advantage they had over a normal bar?

There must've been a reason, but they look very cumbersome and limited in what can be done with them?

Primary purpose for those was bucking logs on the ground.

Something I read about bow bars here also is that since there is that hole/empty space in the middle, they are almost immune from getting pinched if the kerf closes.

Primary purpose for those was bucking logs on the ground.

Something I read about bow bars here also is that since there is that hole/empty space in the middle, they are almost immune from getting pinched if the kerf closes.

yes and no- the tree doesn't pinch the bar as easily but if the kerf closes through the hole in the bar you're just as stuck as you'd be if it pinched on the bar.

I used bow bars for thinning forests in Arizona. They were narrower than the ones pictured above and we put long guards on the top and bottom runs. That made them safer than unguarded bow bars or regular straight bars. Since you cut with the end you don't have to bend over. But if you don't bend over you leave a sharp angled punji stake of a stump which can be dangerous. The cat operators who were stacking the slash would yell at us for that.

Bow bars can kick back pretty hard if you're not careful.

Bow bars were big time in south ga. I guess that’s why I have mine, passed down from my dad. They are only good for ground logs but they do that 1 thing very well. Especially on a 056 since it’s so heavy you can imagine how fast it will go through.

Nice looking 56, bow bar is nice also. I always wanted to get some bow bars for some of my Stihl's but they are kind of hard to come by and the ones I did find were more than I cared to pay for . I have a couple of bows but they are on a couple of old Homelite XL's. I also wanted some Poulan saws with bows on them. I don't really collect saws any more but would drop some bucks on a good bow any day.

As far as the numbers on the bar , I am at a loss except for the .50 gauge drive link width that has already been mentioned.

Nice looking 56, bow bar is nice also. I always wanted to get some bow bars for some of my Stihl's but they are kind of hard to come by and the ones I did find were more than I cared to pay for . I have a couple of bows but they are on a couple of old Homelite XL's. I also wanted some Poulan saws with bows on them. I don't really collect saws any more but would drop some bucks on a good bow any day.

As far as the numbers on the bar , I am at a loss except for the .50 gauge drive link width that has already been mentioned.
I’d be willing to sell one of my bow bars, one has markings like in the pic and one has no markings, both used. What do they sell for?

A bucking bow , not the trail clearing type bow , Stihl mount , in good condition with good paint and the spike on the end of the bar ,guards optional . They sell in the neighborhood of about $150 to $200.

Back