Bow Bars and Clearing Guides

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Butcher

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
How do you use these things, and are they that much better than just a regular bar for clearing brush?

I've never even seen one in real life, much less seen one used.

Just curious, I'm happy just using a small saw but do like the 66 with a 32" bar for multiflora rose. Actually a pole saw would be nice but I don't have one so that answers that.

Just wondering, been seeing bow bars in catalogs for years so decided to ask.

WB

I was wondering what the difference is... (between a bow bar & a clearing guide)

In the Bailey's catalog, the bow bars are in the east coast warehouse, and clearing guides are stocked on the west... Why?

Thanks for asking your question, maybe we will both learn the answers.

The true value of a bow bar is you can cut branches on felled trees and such, without them coming back and pinching the bar. They slip through the hole and you can deal with it without shutting down.

Nice to have. Wish I had one.

on bow and clearing guides, you use the "nose" of the bar to cut, instead of the top or bottom. I use a clearing guide on my old Mac 10-10. it came with the saw, which is mostly used for decoration/conversation piece.

Does that mean that they are different in name only?

I read in a previous thread about the advantages of using a bow bar, but a clearing guide was never mentioned.

These things have different shapes.
Some are long and narrow compared to the others that are just about round and can also be used for bucking, and please, use any part of the bow that makes sense.

Check this out http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=23048&highlight=bow+bars

Al Smith has a pic of a clearing bow, I don't know what happened to the pics I had in that thread. A true bow has a much wider cutting surface on the end. I didn't know there was a difference between the two myself until one of the members here set me straight on the difference between a clearing bow and a regular bow. If you were to see a true bow there is a big difference between the two. I still have two clearing bows to fit on to two of my saws and still haven't had a chance to cut with one, one saw is a basket case and the other needs crank seals. Not much time to play these days.

Larry

a bow bar has larger hole for bucking up lumber clearing guide is more for limbing and has smaller hole.probly not explined veary good .best i could do

Ax-man said:
Check this out http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=23048&highlight=bow+bars

Al Smith has a pic of a clearing bow, I don't know what happened to the pics I had in that thread. A true bow has a much wider cutting surface on the end. I didn't know there was a difference between the two myself until one of the members here set me straight on the difference between a clearing bow and a regular bow. If you were to see a true bow there is a big difference between the two. I still have two clearing bows to fit on to two of my saws and still haven't had a chance to cut with one, one saw is a basket case and the other needs crank seals. Not much time to play these days.

Larry

Larry,

I still have those bars here and I have yet to do anything with them. One of these days I will make the 2 hour run out I-80 to shoot the wind.

Bill

Bill,

Better hurry, by June we will be moving farther downstate, about five more miles father south of I-80 than we are now. :cheers:

Larry

Ax-man said:
Bill,

Better hurry, by June we will be moving farther downstate, about five more miles father south of I-80 than we are now. :cheers:

Larry

A little further south on 47 is good. The further away from the city to the northeast the better. There is a real dumb"""" in the QC that is pushing for a high speed rail to "Blaglo la something"s" capital. That will really help us by pushing farmland prices even higher :angry2:

Bill

Latest posts

Back