Bowline

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheTreeSpyder

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
i think that though we come up with new knots, the king is hard to beat. Especially in service and flexability. The clove is said to be the mother of all knots; i say that makes the 1/2 hitch the grandmother of all knots; indeed she holds the purse strighs tightly here.

This is one way i stand in wonder of my friend and very faithful companion of many years. And how i examined it and appreciated it and its simpler sibling the Sheetbend for joining diffrent rope diameters; with its magic.

Last edited:
Definitely my 'go to' knot. The first knot I learned after the square knot, and definitely the most useful knot I know.

If I had to choose only one knot to use it would be the bowline. Just think of doing a large removal without the bowline.

I too use the bowline as a tie in knot, although I back it up with a barrell knot/fisherman's knot.

It seems like rock climbers always prefer the figure of eight knot
and some tell you that the bowline isn't secure enough.
I'd say the bowline needs to be backed up with some form of tie off. Either the Yosemite tie off or the fisherman's knot.

The figure of eight is also really hard to untie after heavy loading.
Also in "Life on a line" the author claims that many people tie the knot backwards making it loose an extra 10% in strength.
http://www.draftlight.net/lifeonaline/download.html

By the way, nice pics TreeSpyder!

O yes missed that HillyBilly; sorry i have been tying with Y tie off so long (i can do double with Ytie off behind my back, using slip knot method; even makes slip knot method more magical looking!) that i forgot that a bowline should always be backed up by the book esp. in lifting and lifesupport uses. Fig. 8 is recommended.

For me the 2 rings and the Y tie off, with long tail give this security in the 1/2" arbo lines. And of course the sheet bend always gives the warning not to trust your life on it (even though close relative of bowline), but still making 2 rings and a Y tie off in it make it sleeker, and more secure like the bowline. Note also that for some reason a Sheet Bend is said to be more secure if the ends are on the same side as pictured. If the 2 lines are diffrent diameter/makeup then the smaller/stiffer one is chosen for the 1/2 hitch, lest it be reversed and the smaller line makes up the simple bight- it then is destined to cut the thicker line!

Also i'd rather join 2 lines together with a metal connection on 2 of these Double Bowlines than a SheetBend; though a Sheet Bend is quicker and can more easily be contrived to a quick release configuration. The bight for a sheet bend can be a spliced eye.

I hope Tim will share that with us.

Meanwhile, Here's the 3 second bowline. Just the right twist of the wrist gets the tail reall close to the hole. Three seconds should be easy, two seconds is luck.

There is another knot called the 2 second bowline, anyone know that one?

It's pretty much just like the illistration you posted. The difference is you wrap the working end around the standing part as opposed to forming the loop. once the working end is wrapped, you pull down forcing the loop to form. then it's a matter of threading the working end around and pulling again to finish the knot.

I know these instructions suck but hey, I aint no teacher or nuttin' :D

ya gotta love the runnin' bowline when setting lines
for removals!!!!!

my dad taught me the bowline when i was like 6.

"the rabbit comes out of the hole, around the tree and
back into the hole"

this stupid little chant pops into my head everytime i tie one.
budroe:cool:

Try this MM.

And as forgetting about mentioning the tie off, i did short change the increased strength of double ring bowline ~70%, cuz i been using them so long they have become 'ordinary' to myself and crew, forgetting how special they are. Also i think Tom's tie off method also eases that same bight, so there might be some strength increse there too, not sure. For if this breaks it is at the usual place, going into the knot, before this the first bight.

Here is about as good as i can do on bowline under tension. for years i have tried to illustrate the knots/lacings in my head; i guess a .jpg slide show or something might be the ticket, not sure.

There is a knack to this one, and an ounce of faith, kinda comes off like a magic trick like slip knot method (that has also become ordinary); will try to 'expose' it next.

But, i am saving dragon bowline diagram for JP's s-kills (didn't want him to think i forgot about him; he jest ain't that lucky!)

Budroe ya might want to check this out: {http://www.arboristsite.com//showthread.php?s=&threadid=4074}

Mike, I learned to tie the bowline under tension about five years ago. I have been a knot nut since I learned to tie my first bowline. I got it out of a book I had. You can't tie it under tremendous strain, a 40' pine top for example, but a few hundred pounds should be no problem. Never had a reason to use it though. :D

Latest posts

Back