Box 0' Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NPKenny

ArboristSite Operative
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I was in search of an electronic coil for an XL12 and came home with 4 dimantled saws; An XL12, SXLAO, Mac 10-10, and Mac 610. The coil fit the bill for the XL12 I am helping a neighbor with, but now what on the others. I know nothing about Mac's other than info on Acre's site and a few search hits.

I think I can make 1 Homelite saw with minimal effort and maybe 2 Macs, 1 good one if the 10-10 and 610 work together. Any thoughts???

I also came home with a Mac Eager Beaver 2.0 that a friend gave me in return for fixing his Pioneer a few months back.

I was in search of an electronic coil for an XL12 and came home with 4 dimantled saws; An XL12, SXLAO, Mac 10-10, and Mac 610. The coil fit the bill for the XL12 I am helping a neighbor with, but now what on the others. I know nothing about Mac's other than info on Acre's site and a few search hits.

I think I can make 1 Homelite saw with minimal effort and maybe 2 Macs, 1 good one if the 10-10 and 610 work together. Any thoughts???

I also came home with a Mac Eager Beaver 2.0 that a friend gave me in return for fixing his Pioneer a few months back.

As far as old saws go the XL12 in blue paint was a good saw in it's day, the red version seemed to be of lesser quality. But 1 good one in a collection is enough. The Mac 610 is an interesting saw but of no real value and wasn't that great of a saw, but again 1 good one in the collection is OK. The 10-10 was also an awesome saw in it's day and worth fixing up as an example of a well built Mac. The Eager Beaver is not much of a saw.
All of these comments are my opinion, based on several years of trying to make a living fixing them back when they were new, for what ever it's worth.
You did ask you know! LOL

The 10-10 and the Pro Mac 610 are actually decent saws. I think the 10-10 competes with the Super XL for the 'most units ever sold'. The 610 has a strange cult following on e-bay.

Rummaged through the parts a bit more. The 10-10 looks complete, but has bad crankshaft bearings and seals. The Cylinder and Piston look great. Any source on seals and bearings?? The 610 is missing a lot of parts, but the carb, P&C, and tanks look to be in great shape. Maybe I can tap into that cultish ebay group and recoup some operating capital for the other saws.

There is only one piston with the Homelite saws. I should be able to make one nice saw from this box, likely the SXLAO. I used the electronic coil on the XL12 I was working on, and have an points and condenser set-up that I will have to familarize myself with.

I'll look

I am positive I have the needle bearing.......not so sure about the ball bearing on the other end......I should have the seals as well

The Mac 610 is an interesting saw but of no real value.............

Dude no disrepect but I have to disagree. I've got my original firewood saw, a Mac Pro-Mac 610. I cut hundreds of cords back in the day with it. Don't use it much anymore because it is HEAVY to haul around. In it's day it would pull with any Johnny-Red, Sachs, you name it I cut with them. I had it out this weekend and just for giggles and grins I pitted it (with a SHARP chain...) against my Husky 353 and a new Stihl 260 pro (gee THANKS AS........wife is gonna KILL me when she finally sees another new saw.....) and it is NO slouch. Runs much slower in the RPM range than either of my new saws but has TONS of torque. Just keeps right on a pullin through that wood no matter what.

Never mind that I had to take four Motrin afterwards for my shoulder muscles and elbow tendinitis........................

Just my $.00002 cents worth...

Back