Branch integrity advice wanted

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphastretch

Reaction score
I have a fairly large maple tree in my backyard. I believe a norway maple. I'm attaching a few pictures here. Some of the branches have fairly large cracks in them and I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on if these branches are dangerous and should be removed. Two of them are on the same branch. Both these branches are quite long. If they should be removed this would be between a quarter and a third of the tree's canopy roughly, so in this case would it be advisable to take the whole thing down? This tree is really beautiful and in the summer it provides a lot of shade in our immediate backyard so i'd prefer to to if it can be helped. What are your thoughts and opinions?

Attachments

• 20220305_123853.jpg
    20220305_123853.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
  • 20220305_123823.jpg
    20220305_123823.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 2
  • 20220305_123804.jpg
    20220305_123804.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 2
First pic...that split has already started. Granted it was in the past and the tree has put on some response growth. But I wouldn't bet on it hanging around too long on any tree - especially Norway maple which is weaker than average.

2nd pic...does that split show up on the other side? If so...ditto.

3rd pic... branch in the center of the frame. I suspect that might not show up on the other side...but the branch on the right probably has a crazy that goes all the way through?

Heavy ice storm in the last +/-5 years?

We are in Michigan so
First pic...that split has already started. Granted it was in the past and the tree has put on some response growth. But I wouldn't bet on it hanging around too long on any tree - especially Norway maple which is weaker than average.

2nd pic...does that split show up on the other side? If so...ditto.

3rd pic... branch in the center of the frame. I suspect that might not show up on the other side...but the branch on the right probably has a crazy that goes all the way through?

Heavy ice storm in the last +/-5 years?
We are in michigan, there has been a few ice storms and occasionally heavy winds in the last few months. Have any idea on what the cost might be roughly on removing these or the tree?

We are in Michigan so

We are in michigan, there has been a few ice storms and occasionally heavy winds in the last few months. Have any idea on what the cost might be roughly on removing these or the tree?
Those cracks are older than a few months...

Cost to remove: Is there room to just drop them and back a chipper up to them? Are you OK with a little damage that would cause to the yard? If so, it would cost a lot less than if they were in the back yard with a 28" gate between two hoses and the trees were over a pool and greenhouse... Will the stumps need to be ground out? In other words, need more details for a reasonable price estimate. Make a few calls.

Those cracks are older than a few months..
Sorry what I meant was there have been a few strong wind storms in the past few months which is what has put these cracks on my mind more lately. There are ice storms most years, some worse than others here. One of them is a large branch that would have to be carefully removed or else it would land on my neighbor's house, just from a liability perspective, I think I'll take your advice and call around some Monday. Thank you.

Back