Brand new 576xp and piston scoring

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoytster

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So I bought a brand new 576xp off a guy on ebay. The saw was brand new with maybe a 1/4 tank run through it (USPS doesn't want to know how I know that), but didn't look like it cut a thing. Bar was flawless, chain was flawless, no saw chips or dust anywhere on the saw, cylinder looked brand new, ect ect. From the tag on the case, it looks like a 2013 model.

Anyways, I put in some good bar oil and some good 32:1 mix fuel (amsoil saber) for the initial break-in. I ran about 4 tanks through it, taking it somewhat easy in some big oak. I pulled the muffler off afterwards to look at the piston, everything looked great. Went out to cut a week later with the same 32:1 mix. I ran it harder this time cutting some bigger oak logs and oak stumps. Came home, pulled the muffler off and this is what I found.

Pic20160319164201043.jpg
Pic20160319164258059.jpg

Looks like lean scoring to me, but would like other peoples opinion. So, in response to this, I drove the ball bearings out of the carb limiters and removed the limiter caps so I can fully adjust the carb. I also did a dual port muffler mod to help her breath a little better (Ignore my first attempt at brazing, I usually weld these together) .

Pic20160319164853661.jpg

I also checked the saw for any leaks and couldn't find any. It also doesn't act like it had an air leak. After I re-tuned the saw, I ran it through some wood and checked the cylinder again, and didn't see anymore scoring on the cylinder. I noticed though that the high adjustment on the carb doesn't really seem to do much. I can pretty much turn it full closed or full open without much, if any change in the "sound" of the saw. It actually seems to run great where its at, but what might cause this? Or is this normal for this saw? I know I need to get a tachometer to really properly tune the high end.

That's new to me. Im guessing that would be caused by too much oil?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Usually carbon build up is caused by the engine not getting up to proper temperature and that's caused by not running it full throttle in the cuts.

Usually carbon build up is caused by the engine not getting up to proper temperature and that's caused by not running it full throttle in the cuts.
Thanks for the info. I always warm my saws up before I use them and run full throttle in the cut, but the stumps I were cutting through were over 3 feet wide and I was making a point of not running full throttle too long since the saw was new. That might have been a mistake.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

You have plenty of oil . I would try a 40:1 mix , I don't think the auto tune does the best on 32:1 .
Always run WOT when in a cut .

You have plenty of oil . I would try a 40:1 mix , I don't think the auto tune does the best on 32:1 .
Always run WOT when in a cut .

I should clarify that it's a non-auto tune 576xp. I normally run the amsoil saber at 40:1, I was just running at 32:1 for initial break in taking in consideration the lean tuning they normally come with from the factory.

I can't tell from the picture - can you feel that with your finger? Is there any damage on the ring that corresponds to that location?

Before anymore damage is done, why not pull the head off? It only takes a few minutes to do, and then you'll know the whole story

I can't tell from the picture - can you feel that with your finger? Is there any damage on the ring that corresponds to that location?

You can barely feel it with your finger, the picture actually makes it look a little worse than it is, but it's there. You can see some VERY light marks on the rings that correspond with marks on the piston, but you cannot feel anything on the rings. The saw still runs great and I don't think it really hurt anything, I just don't want it getting any worse. This is my first $800 saw, I'm really trying to take care of it.

Before anymore damage is done, why not pull the head off? It only takes a few minutes to do, and then you'll know the whole story

I was planning on doing that tomorrow, just wanted some insight before I go any further. I'll get some updated pics when I do this.

I was planning on doing that tomorrow, just wanted some insight before I go any further. I'll get some updated pics when I do this.

YouTube is your friend if you haven't done it before. Take the head, boot, and carb off as one unit. Makes it really simple.

YouTube is your friend if you haven't done it before. Take the head, boot, and carb off as one unit. Makes it really simple.

Thanks for the tip. I've never done it on a newer saw like this. I've done a lot of work on my old 066 and my Homelites.

Latest posts

Back