Bringing a 048 back to life

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel686

Weekend Warrior
Reaction score
Hi all!
This is my first post on here. I have trolled the site off and on for awhile and recently joined. I must say, I could spend hours everyday reading posts on here! This site is awesome. I have always had a few saws on hand but in the last year or so have added a new hobby and it's chainsaws. Can't get enough of em. My arsenal includes, Stihl ms250c, ms170, 028 av super eq (modded), 041av, ms361c, non running 048 av eq, Mac 250, Poulan micro 25 deluxe, and a Craftsman/Roper 3.7. That's my hello post, now down to fun.

I've read a bunch of info on the 048 and a bunch of opinions on why not to have one because of the parts are hard to find. I couldn't pass the 1 owner, original bar saw up for the price of $60. The piston has been scored but the jug looks to be in good shape (haven't broken it down yet). The saw has good spark and is in decent shape with a small piece missing off the back corner of the chain plate. A NOS oem piston, rings, and wrist pin for $50 (was excited about that!) just came in the mail. I can get most nos oem gaskets and what not but am in need of crank seals and maybe bearings! I can't find them anywhere! Not even after market. For all I know there might be some life left in the old ones. I want to rebuild this saw and would like to do it right with all new internal parts. Any suggestions!? Do any other crank seals from other saws fit an 048?

Also I need a parts manual for an 048 if any one has one.
I will post pics tomorrow!! Because yes this post is worthless without them.

I just sold one to @GoBigBlue1984 in similar condition... it ran, but the piston was scored. I got it from the original owner, but I decided that I don't have time for another saw project right now. :( Here's a pic...
image.jpg

some of the crank bearings for older sthils are nla and hard to find the the seal is part of the bearing and as far a I know you cant just get a seal from the bearing supply house and insert it into the bearing....still a good find at 60 bucks I think.....good luck

some of the crank bearings for older sthils are nla and hard to find the the seal is part of the bearing and as far a I know you cant just get a seal from the bearing supply house and insert it into the bearing....still a good find at 60 bucks I think.....good luck

I'm hoping the crank seals and bearings are still good. If I get one of those fancy vac/press guns I will do a test before I replace the piston and hope it doesn't have a leak in that area!

Check out the beg for manuals thread. I rebuilt an 048 for a friend back in 08. Parts were available then.

Stihl bearings/seals in many applications are oddball sized and proprietary like all things Apple...which is a big drag.

Just went to beg for manuals thread, thanks Four Paws! I can still get a lot of parts just have had no luck on seals and bearings. I did find one bearing and seal that is for the "left" side, I will assume that is the flywheel side. The bearing for the right is slotted and the seal is bigger.

If you're planning to work on some (many?) saws in the future, my advice is to get a good vacuum/pressure tester. The Mityvac 8500 is my choice. If you don't want to go that route, figure a way to test the unit (dealer, friend, you if you have a compressor) before spending time and $ looking for and buying parts you may not really need. I'd offer to help but I'm not real close to TH.

If you're planning to work on some (many?) saws in the future, my advice is to get a good vacuum/pressure tester. The Mityvac 8500 is my choice. If you don't want to go that route, figure a way to test the unit (dealer, friend, you if you have a compressor) before spending time and $ looking for and buying parts you may not really need. I'd offer to help but I'm not real close to TH.

I wouldn't say many, but for sure some. I do have a compressor and vacuum pump I use for stabilizing wood, but I didn't know the handhelds were that cheap. I looked up the 8500 and I will get one ordered. Thanks

Well I went to a little hardware store about 15 minutes away (Stihl dealer) and the guy working was really helpful! I can get a lot more parts than I thought I could get. Seals, bearings, and rubber boot for the carb were my main concerns, but the guy said he could get them all with a few clicks on 2 different computers. The larger Stihl dealer in my town were kind of, how should I say it, a**holes to say the least. They weren't helpful and acted like I was bothering them and parts didn't exist. Gotta love the small town hardware stores!

Back