Brits talkin about Brit stuff

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yo Rolla-
:cheers: newbie online,
So no uk climbers looking for work in the sunny channel islands?,great weather laid back life style & loads of lovely females.
anyone know of any climbing jobs anywhere? Been climin 18mths, lead was out of action for half that so i got some gd experience, done crane work, plenty lowerin/reductions etc. Ross u still lookin, that sounds kooshti-apart from the line work, we all gotta do our time i guess. Lookin south really-reckon i'd be eaten alive-heard stories bout them northern lasses!

mop said:
Yo Rolla-
:cheers: newbie online,

anyone know of any climbing jobs anywhere? Been climin 18mths, lead was out of action for half that so i got some gd experience, done crane work, plenty lowerin/reductions etc. Ross u still lookin, that sounds kooshti-apart from the line work, we all gotta do our time i guess. Lookin south really-reckon i'd be eaten alive-heard stories bout them northern lasses!

Hi mop ,put an add on here employment section,if I was single and younger I think I too would be out there with ROSS

Europe Vacancies

Hi
I've just finished at Houghall College with an NC Arboriculture. I have NPTCs 30 + 38, will be doing 31 very soon. I've also been working 2 days a week for a reputable tree firm as a groundsman and have climbed and worked in the tree several times. I'm looking to work in Europe for a couple of years and would love any advice or if anyone has any vacancies to get in touch. I can relocate quickly.
Cheers
Justin

ROLLACOSTA said:
i shall kick the thread off ..today after waiting for 2 months to get the go ahead to start a job section felling two horse chestnuts ,it all nearly goes all very very wrong now customer told me he had put in an application for the work and would show me the letter of consent when we turned up to do the work..well todays arrived i'm at the customers door and i ask can i see the letter ..anyway long story short ,client never got permission or even applied for permission

he told me they thought they could just get away with it ,anyway we leave the job site very unhappy..but it could have been worse as maximum fine for felling these 2 trees without consent could have been £20,000 each..the stupid thing is the tree's have basal rot and would have been given the thumbs up for felling anyway:angry:

don't need permission to fell dead, dying, or dangerous trees, they advise you to give them 5 days notice, however this in not obligatory, just advisable.

Say they are full of bleeding canker and you burnt all the wood as recomened by the forestry comision to prevent further infection...soon i reckon almost half the chesnuts round my way will be felled due to this.........as the man said dieing dead or dangerous!

reality bites.

If cankors are small, it may be possible to excise the infection by cutting out all the dead and necrotic bark. All excised bark should be collected and burnt. If the infection is so virile so the whole trunk is girdled, then the tree is effectively ring barked, and should be felled. Don't take it personally, unless of course you are suffering from the same condition..

bobby big wood said:
If cankors are small, it may be possible to excise the infection by cutting out all the dead and necrotic bark. All excised bark should be collected and burnt. If the infection is so virile so the whole trunk is girdled, then the tree is effectively ring barked, and should be felled. Don't take it personally, unless of course you are suffering from the same condition..

I have tryed pruning out some of the canker infected branch tips and re pollarded some tree's before the infection has gone to the girdled trunk or advanced stage,the pruned trees seem fine and the pollards wich i thought would be there last rotation have come back lush green and fine and show no sighns of die back in the bushy leaves at all.

Have you tried cutting out bark has this worked?ive got a big old chesnut to look at this morning but i think evan though it has not girdled yet if i chisseled out all the infect bark i would be practactly ring barking....i have seen one or two recover with out any treatment,my feeling is by the time i am seeing the bleeding at the base of trunk and a few dead branches the tree will have phytothera any way so its F~~Ked.
I did say to one customer who has an avenue of them to leave his as there was hardly any die back but the trunk was girdled right to the top of the crown..big mistake as the tree snapped in half in a bit of wind...any girdling im now felling straight away interstingly the same customer has another totaly dead tree to fell two dieing back.

I think the forestry comission should of done a lot more research on this but they seem to be more concerned with sudden oak death and i think there's only been about 5 reported cases of that...

Hi there long time since i've seen this thread ,are there any more new Brits on the site?

And how are all you regular AS Brits doing?? call me vain but i'm not about to let this thread die..:biggrinbounce2: :hmm3grin2orange:

What's to see at Saltex?
I have to go for a BAGMA/Lantra/NPTC technical update, where is all the cool climbing stuff so I can shoot off after the seminar?

I always meet up with tree officer when it comes to TPO,s.otherwise you have council letter saying one thing and a customer saying another.

you over in this country are ya bermie?

saltex is a good day out, chance to meet up with like minded people, more devoted to landscaping than tree work but there are some tree climbing demos and i believe pole climbing competitions.
most of us who are going are heading over on the thursday

Back