broken gaff

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLACKeR

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
well i broke off a gaff today, fortunately i wasn't up too high when it happened because it as a little slow going down with only one good foot. the climbers i have are older and i don't recognize the manufacturer. the gaffs seem to be semi permanent. the one end was hammered over similar to a old iron rivet. I'm going to try to replace them with a current manufactured gaff. i was wondering if anyone had any recommendations as to what manufacturer would work the best. my brother is a machinist so if i can get one that's close he can touch up whats needed. I'm leaning towards either a screw in gaff such as the klein, or maybe trying a bashlin gaff. although the buckingham titanium climber gaffs looks like they may work. any one have any recommendations judging from my pictures what may be a good/easy choice? thanks in advance.
miscpics386.jpg

miscpics385.jpg

Those look unlike any climbers I'm aware of...not Brooks, Buckingham, Klein or Bashlin. Only close match is the B'hams, but I think the part that fits into the shank is larger.I suggest you get a new set. Nothing wrong with the simple and cheaper older gaff sets. I like Kleins, but B'ham and Bashlin are good as well.

Last edited:
looks like it is time for a new pair! they look a bit rusty do you work in a salt water environment. If not Id take them out of the back of the truck before it rains. or snows. did you leave them in the back of the truck over winter? that will make them rust and weaken. good luck finding parts I cant help ya there but they kinda look like Buckingham's but not suer:jester:

well i broke off a gaff today, fortunately i wasn't up too high when it happened because it as a little slow going down with only one good foot.

Would it be a good idea to carry a rope and figure 8 (or other descending device) up with you when you climb on spurs? In case of something like this, or a bad cut, or an unexpected encounter with bees or a wasp nest. Quicker to tie off and rappell down than to limp down on one spur.

Would it be a good idea to carry a rope and figure 8 (or other descending device) up with you when you climb on spurs? In case of something like this, or a bad cut, or an unexpected encounter with bees or a wasp nest. Quicker to tie off and rappell down than to limp down on one spur.

Yes, one should always take a rope when climbing aloft...and be tied in twice when operating a chain saw.

Go to one of the sponsors here, and buy Tree Climber's Companion. It's a good basic knowledge resource.

well i thought i would update you fellas. i got them in some good light, and was able to read the name, they are very old M Klein and Sons. so i took your advice and bought some new ones. i didnt rope down because i really hadnt gotten up that far. i had probly only gone 15 ft. yooper those look very nice, thats my kinda style :biggrinbounce2: ive found dog collars work good in a pinch, but ive never used seatbelts.:cheers: i had fun climbing with spurs that were older than the trees for a while though.

Latest posts

Back