Broken Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sstree

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just had a question about how to go about taking down this tree, its snapped off about 10 ft up from a storm and is almost laying horizontal with the top caught up in another tree. I'm doing it for free because the guy is one of my good friends. Would the best way be to climb the tree the top is in, climb the 10 ft stump, or just cut it from the bottom of the stump? No danger of it hitting anything

Put a rope on it and try pulling the top out from a safe distance. Hung up trees can be extremely dangerous and unpredictable. Your last option would be to actually the climb the broken stump, you'd be asking for trouble. If you absolutely have to climb, go up the tree that the top is in and work from above and hope it breaks off the stump once the top is freed. When in doubt, sub it out. If you can't pull the top out, consider calling a pro for some help.

Put a rope on it and try pulling the top out from a safe distance. Hung up trees can be extremely dangerous and unpredictable. Your last option would be to actually the climb the broken stump, you'd be asking for trouble. If you absolutely have to climb, go up the tree that the top is in and work from above and hope it breaks off the stump once the top is freed. When in doubt, sub it out. If you can't pull the top out, consider calling a pro for some help.

Well i appreciate it that guides me in the right direction. I have done one like that before, but i climbed the broken stump, but it was about 20 ft up, then i rigged it through a block like you would a normal falling section and had my groundsman pull it to the side i wasn't on and left enough slack so it fell past me. i got out lucky i guess but i think im going to do it no matter what even if my option is rent a crane or boom truck because theres no way to get more experience if you dont do stuff i think

make a side notch and low back cut leaving a decent hinge. pull the stump over sideways tree attached. if its still hung up with the butt end on the ground you can cut it free from the trunk and drag the top out. or, make a top notch and underside back cut in small sections til its free or vertical enough to pull it over. you can also cut plumb straight up and let it peel. it can be a bit violent though.

Back