Brush Cutter - Husky 235fr vs Stihl fs250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol, you're just as picky about your trimmer as with your saws it sounds like.

:cheers:

My boss has a fs250r I run sometimes at work but it's at it's best in really thick strong grass. I prefer the fs130r for all day use and use the fs85r for smaller or more delicate lawns.

:givebeer:

Well, 35cc is about the bottom limit for a trimmer/bruchcutter here - I am actually considering one of the new 50cc+ Huskys, as a supplement.....:)

Been really busy around here as of late...didn't get to run that new FS250 brushcutter until last Saturday...and WOW!!!!! This thing truly rocks, right out of the box. It got stronger with every tank of fuel, and thick Sagebrush growing up in the fenceline fell with ease. Even the dreaded Scrub Oak was whacked with authority...some growth an inch thick.
What a difference fom the Troy-Built from Blowes! (The Troy-Built is a "homeowner" 4-stroke trimmer with 29cc, the FS250 has 40.2cc 2-stroke scream'in power)

I would highly recommend this brushcutter...I was using the three-sided steel brush knife, it's made out of some pretty stern stuff...even repeated accidental dirt hits did not dull the blade. I tried the "poly-cut" head too, but it was made for thick grasses I guess...clearly overmatched in the nasty thick brush (within a few minutes the three nylon "knives" were reduced from three inches to a pathetic one inch...)
I didn't try the string head at all...it came with the unit but grass care was not the order of the day.

I wore a forestry helmet...and glad I did...the Stihl can throw debris at high velocity. My bare arms were covered with brusies and welts...bad decision not to wear a long-sleave shirt...but it was so darn hot. The forestry helmets ear protection was necessary and welcome...the FS250 is loud!

The Stihl worked so well that we finished in half the time we had set for the chore...Mrs. Bounty Hunter running the tractor as close to the fence as possible, I followed up with the FS250, chopping out the brush in the fence, and son Clayton finishing up with the Troy-Built to trim around the fence posts (I didn't want to get too close to the PVC horse fence with the Stihl...might cut the darn fence down!!!!)
Thanks to you all on ArboristSite...we spent the rest of the day tossing cold ones instead of cuss'in brush! :cheers:

husqvarna 335 FR brush cutter vs Stihl fs250

The husky saw that is priced similar to FS250 is the 335 FR. For similar money, power, and weight the husky has a complete vibration suspension. Husky also specs the vibration, showing a huge improvement over the 235fr. Stihl does not spec their vibration. the Fs250 is a simple bolt the handle to the tube design. The Stihl model with the fs250 engine and the husky 335 style vibration control design is the fs350, offered at a substantial price step above the fs250/335fx pair.
I have owned and almost worn out a 235R husky brush cutter. It has 17 years on it, and might be tossed if I cannot find a coil. Good weight, moderate vibration, and maintainable. The 335fr is a big step up from the 235fr in power and comfort, and weighs less (2.4 lb).
So someone find one to test!

The husky saw that is priced similar to FS250 is the 335 FR. For similar money, power, and weight the husky has a complete vibration suspension. Husky also specs the vibration, showing a huge improvement over the 235fr. Stihl does not spec their vibration. the Fs250 is a simple bolt the handle to the tube design. The Stihl model with the fs250 engine and the husky 335 style vibration control design is the fs350, offered at a substantial price step above the fs250/335fx pair.
I have owned and almost worn out a 235R husky brush cutter. It has 17 years on it, and might be tossed if I cannot find a coil. Good weight, moderate vibration, and maintainable. The 335fr is a big step up from the 235fr in power and comfort, and weighs less (2.4 lb).
So someone find one to test!
The 335 is a totally different animal than the 235, more comparable to the FS200/250, with better AV.....:)

It just was sold out around here when I needed a trimmer/bruchcutter ASAP - so I went with the FS200 over the 235.

Last edited:
FS 250 Vibration problem

Well I made the mistake of getting the FS 250 without the handle bars, just the standard ,'on shaft throttle control and the 'loop' handle in front. Big mistake.
The vibration is killing my hands.
I did not know about the vibration issues. I have only six saws right now, ( had to trim the herd), I am a full time arborist and I use saws constantly, and I have never had a saw do to my hands what this FS250 is doing to my hands.
Both hands felt numb for a week.

Anyone here know if I can put the vibration dampening system for the FS350 onto my FS250?
My local Stihl dealer here in Napa, CA wants $250 just for the parts!
I know, I know I should have gotten the 'bars when I bought it, only 30 bucks extra at time of purchase.
Don't do what I did!
Any help? Thanks in advance

My Saws,
Stihl 066
Stihl 044
Two Stihl 026's
Stihl MS200 t
and,,,,
One, Husky 372, (great saw too)
Stihl Power pole saw,,(don't recall the #) Extendable

And my Stihl FS250 with the standard loop handle, (virtually no vibration dampening)

Anyone here know if I can put the vibration dampening system for the FS350 onto my FS250?

Hey prioritytree,
Did your dealer tell you what the cost would be just to get the standard bike handlebars for the FS250? Seems like it would be much less expensive than the FS350 or FS310 system...but I don't know.

The FS250 stock handlebars are great...I have had it a year now and couldn't be happier with it. I can go hours straight, only stopping for fuel, with no problems...and it's fun! The FS250 is wicked-strong, and the bike bars really help twisting and turning it to get in and under the brush to cut at the stems and roots. I never feel much vibration to speak of...

The standard harness is fine, I never got the ultra comfort one (they cost about $60 bucks). Allthough one day I FORGOT the harness...and using the tool without one is not easy or safe...so I made a makeshift one with some rope and a motorcycle tie-down...wasn't pretty but it worked. :givebeer:

Good luck with yer machine...I'd convert it to bike bars...maybe try bar-snakes too, they cut vibration on motorcycles.

Keep us posted on how it turns out Brother, and Stay Safe out there...

The Husqvarna 335 is a very good strong runner. Have 2 of Stihl 250's and 1 husky 335 at work. Also, another 335 at home for personal use and secondary work. The 335's are smoother than the 250's in the vibes and don't seem to use the fuel as quickly. Both the 250's and the 335's make the string heads sing, but the string head on the 250's are smaller diameter. Both 250's and 335's are rated approximately 2.2hp and both are quick changing from string to blade. Also, the 335's list for $50 less than the 250's. Primary use these machines go through is mowing brush and tall weeds/grass on wildlife management areas. They are used for mowing a lot of areas where we can't get a bush hog and tractor to with slope issues.

Hey prioritytree,
Did your dealer tell you what the cost would be just to get the standard bike handlebars for the FS250?

Yeah $250 is what the Stihl dealer wants just for the parts, not including labor. Parts
only.
Not a good deal. Napa power tool. Napa California. Seems
like they would give me a better deal since I bought the FS250 from them new last year.

I have a Honda 30cc four stroke and a used FS 550. The shoulder harness on the FS550 is great. The FS 550 is 10 pounds heavier than the Honda and is just as comfortable to use. I now use the Stihl harness on the Honda and it makes a big difference, much more comfortable.

The used triangle metal blade that came on the Stihl is sharpened to a point like a knife. I got a triangle metal blade from Bailey's and it has 30 degree angles, but a blunt edge. The Stihl blade shapened to a knife edge cuts much faster. I plan on sharpening the Bailey's blade to a knife edge.

The 4 stroke Honda sips fuel, but the FS 550 really shines in the thick stuff.

Consider a burn down with Gromoxene(Paraquat) followed by a soil applied veg. barrier like Velpar, THEN go at it with the brush cutter. No point in doing it all again next year.;)

I feel your pain. I gotta get busy on 10 500' rows with the 236 Husky.

Fence stinks, cuz it always sucks the blade right into it, and the line gets broken quick on the spool head.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Latest posts

Back