Brush cutter service

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank Boyer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a Honda brush cutter and just got a used Stihl brush cutter. What service needs to be done on the angle head on the bottom by the blade. How often and what type of lubricant. The Stihl owner's manual mentions servicing it, but doesn't cover how and/or when. Are there any other routine maintence items besides spark plugs, air cleaners, and oil changes on the Honda?

THANKS for the help.

I have a husky brushcutter. I just keep some grease in it at all times. I think in the seven years that I have had it I added grease maybe a dozen times but I check it regularly.:cheers:

I can't speak for the Honda machine but for the Stihl there is a bolt on the head, you will also need a blade pin which probably came with the saw, insert the blade pin(To top of the blade, same idea as a piston stop) and remove the bolt, if there is grease on the end of the bolt then don't add any. You can also remove the blade pin and turn the blade slowly with your hand, look in and see the gears moving, you can usually see lots of grease on the gears, if you feel it needs some grease be careful only to add a small amount, adding to much will ruin a seal and cause water to get in. Your stihl dealer can also check this for you if you are not comfy to do it yourself.

I have a Honda brush cutter and just got a used Stihl brush cutter. What service needs to be done on the angle head on the bottom by the blade. How often and what type of lubricant. The Stihl owner's manual mentions servicing it, but doesn't cover how and/or when. Are there any other routine maintence items besides spark plugs, air cleaners, and oil changes on the Honda?

THANKS for the help.

My Stihl FS250 has a round plug on the right side of the angle head (referred to as the gearbox in the manual). Here are the instructions verbatim:

• Check the grease regularly - about every 25 hours of operation.
  • Unscrew the filler plug.
  • If no grease can be seen on the inside of the filler plug, screw the tube of STIHL gear lubricant for brushcutters.
  • Squeeze up to 1/5 oz (5g) grease into the gear housing.
  • Do not completely fill the gear housing with grease.
  • Refit the filler plug and tighten it down firmly

The grease they refer to comes in a tube like tooth paste. From appearance it's just regular gear grease.

On my FS250 grease plug and many other screws/bolts require the combo tool, or one of those star shaped (I forget the correct) wrenches to remove them.

Hope this helps.

Back