Brushcutter/forestry saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zogger

Tree Freak
Reaction score
Anyone have a good one? Good bad and ugly with them, what sort of work can you get done, biggest trees etc? I'm looking at a thousand (whatever, they been busy as beavers for a few years now) beaver made punji stakes I'd like to clear, along with a buhzillion privet bushes, places where a tractor ain't going. Thanks in advance!

I had a blade setup on my commercial Tanaka trimmer, works but way too wussy, need something with mo grunt and capacity.

Get the FS460 , most of the guys doing commercial thinning work up here run them , good power to weight ratio and good fuel mileage .
My 2 bits .
It run's the same blade as my 560 , 4" in a single pass , bigger if you go from 2 sides .

Still running the 22 cc Echo trimmer/brushcutter I got back in the '70s. Straight shaft, of course. Cuts 3-inchers with a 10" blade. Long as I'm not doing serious pre-commercial thinning, it works just fine for me. Clearing privet weeds, ferinstance, it's kept a Morbark 8 & operator quite busy. Might look like hell by now, but could outlast me. Has only needed a carb rebuild.
On occasion it serves me at home as a make-shift chipper, chewing up brush piles & knocking them down for composting. Can launch some woody chunks. :innocent:

I have been happy with my Husky 39r. If I replace it I would probably go with the multi tool that can do brush cutting, polesaw, etc.

Regular blade works ok, if you want to spend more the "beaver blade" really works well. It has chainsaw teeth for cutters making sharpening easy also. I have also seen off brands of this design for mid $30 price range.

http://www.mfgsupply.com/trimmer/trimmerblades/trimmerbladesbeaver.html

Back