Brushy Mountain Ash

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anything be done to eliminate multiple leaders/water sprouts? I started this tree from seed, one of many. All others are O.K. but this one after about 15 years has a good main leader but it is absolutely buried in thin sprouts coming from or right at ground level. I learned from the mama of this tree that just cutting them off doesn't kill em, just controls em.

Harry K

Err

I'm not from your parts and not sure if this is the mountain ash you were refering to. So I've enclosed a pic. Is this your type of mountain ash?

They seldom sucker and grow to over 300'

PS: That's not me in the photo

Ekka said:
Err

I'm not from your parts and not sure if this is the mountain ash you were refering to. So I've enclosed a pic. Is this your type of mountain ash?

They seldom sucker and grow to over 300'

PS: That's not me in the photo

Nope that's not it. Mine is the common one (don't know the scientific name). Has clusters of white/pink flowers in spring, orange/red (I'm color blind) berries in fall. Birds love the berries. Does not grow big. About 20 ft is my tallest one - over 30 years old and only about 18" trunk. Nice finely cut leaves with filtered shade. Makes good city landscape tree.
Sorry, no picture (no digital camera).

Harry K

Well, I'm not much help then ... came on you other guys help this bloke out!

Back