Bucket truck exhaust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZinTrees

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
so, as I've been upgrading equipment lately, and doing some health risk analysis, I've been noticing incredible amount of diesel exhaust fumes on our jobsites, the saws are bad enough, but do we really need weed burner exhausts on the trucks dumping fumes out on the ground to float around for us groundies to breath in?

the dilemma for me is this, if I re-route the exhaust to a stack that exits above the cab, great, much less fumes to inhale for everybody, its above the groundies and gets blown around by the wind, and anyone in the bucket is above the fumes like normal, less overall percentage of carbon monoxide, and other crap that diesel gives off when burnt

but, then the little bit of soot ends up on the boom, directly in the middle of the insulated section of the upper boom, carbon is extremely conductive, so that's not really a good thing

my dump truck will be getting a stack in the near future as that'll be super easy, and im not worried about the soot like I am on the bucket truck

anyone here have thoughts or anything to add? a little nicer sound would be a bonus, this truck sounds amazing with no exhaust but its friggen loud, painfully loud actually, the stock exhaust is still pretty annoyingly loud and sounds like crap, just a muffled "PSHHHHHHHH" the whole time with a little turbo "stututu" mixed in sometimes

im thinking probably a 5" stainless pipe coming out of the stock muffler, back and up the drivers side corner of the cab with an elbow at the top to direct everything out and away from the boom best as I can, the truck doesn't smoke much but it does smoke enough to cover the tool boxes in soot over a few weeks time, might do like the new pickups with the little punched out "flaps" a foot or so behind the exhaust exit, to pull clean air in and dilute the smoke even more

Well first off what model brand year is this bucket truck also from the sound of it does it have Def or no

1992 c7500 topkick, cat 3116, pre def although that won't matter for the fume and CO side of things

Other truck is a 1993 international 4700, dta360, also no def or dpf
Oooooo I'm liking what I'm reading alright so asfor the c7500 I've seen some with a stack like your saying so it's possible to do that just don't don't let water get in the stack cause if you do..... when you start it black soot mixed with water Flys everywhere so keep that in mind and asfar as the loudness I can't give no help on that I make all my **** loud so

Oooooo I'm liking what I'm reading alright so asfor the c7500 I've seen some with a stack like your saying so it's possible to do that just don't don't let water get in the stack cause if you do..... when you start it black soot mixed with water Flys everywhere so keep that in mind and asfar as the loudness I can't give no help on that I make all my **** loud so
yeah, I believe both trucks came with a factory stack option, although the topkick will be a little tricky because it has a headache rack on it which goes directly where a stack would mount from the factory

I have plans to get rid of the bucket truck, so I may not even do the stack on it, but whatever I get in the future to replace it needs the exhaust to get away from anyone working near it, so still interested in thoughts on it, im thinking of maybe trying to trade it for a smaller boom truck crane, under CDL would be a bonus, already have the dump truck to haul chips and I despise bringing a forestry truck to jobs where I don't need it, and it sucks as a bucket when I do need it lol

yeah, I believe both trucks came with a factory stack option, although the topkick will be a little tricky because it has a headache rack on it which goes directly where a stack would mount from the factory

I have plans to get rid of the bucket truck, so I may not even do the stack on it, but whatever I get in the future to replace it needs the exhaust to get away from anyone working near it, so still interested in thoughts on it, im thinking of maybe trying to trade it for a smaller boom truck crane, under CDL would be a bonus, already have the dump truck to haul chips and I despise bringing a forestry truck to jobs where I don't need it, and it sucks as a bucket when I do need it lol
Hey if that's the case and you wanna downgrade go get a obs ford 7.3 powerstroke trust me you won't regret it there awsome rigs I see alot on fb marketplace with booms also on the c700 what about making the exhaust come out the side (just a thought)

Hey if that's the case and you wanna downgrade go get a obs ford 7.3 powerstroke trust me you won't regret it there awsome rigs I see alot on fb marketplace with booms also on the c700 what about making the exhaust come out the side (just a thought)
the exhaust is a side exit on the 7500, fills the cab with fumes when sitting, and you can't stand near it more than half an hour or so without wanting to puke, same for the intl and my dodge pickup

and no, OBS is a no from me, I can't keep using pickups for what im doing and weight im hauling, it's laughable trying to tow a load of logs behind a 2500, and I can't legally tow with a 3500 since that puts me over CDL, but I can carry 50% more on an under CDL truck if I just get rid of the trailer, which I've done already

and theres no pickup with a crane large enough, I need 80+ feet of reach and to be a legal build typically the truck has to weigh around 12K pounds BEFORE the crane gets mounted, and a super long wheelbase (220+ inch), has to be a medium or heavy duty

Is the diesel engine in your bucket truck 'wet stacking'?

That would cause a lot of smoke and isn't good for the motor.

I was told years ago by a diesel mechanic that my DT466 needed to idle at 1,100 when driving the bucket hydraulics or else diesel would condensate on the cylinder walls because they were to cool. I like how the bucket worked with the engine idling about 900 rpm best and that is what got his attention.

Vertical stacks always help.

Just passing it on as a possibility.

Is the diesel engine in your bucket truck 'wet stacking'?

That would cause a lot of smoke and isn't good for the motor.

I was told years ago by a diesel mechanic that my DT466 needed to idle at 1,100 when driving the bucket hydraulics or else diesel would condensate on the cylinder walls because they were to cool. I like how the bucket worked with the engine idling about 900 rpm best and that is what got his attention.

Vertical stacks always help.

Just passing it on as a possibility.
I idle up to 1200 for pto work on the topkick, runs beautifully there, no smoke, no rattle or vibration, hydraulics stay cool, oil pressure is 40psi (15000 and change hours on it btw)

There isn't a lot of smoke at all really from any of my diesels, on a cold startup or heavy acceleration there's a haze, but other than that there's none, but the fumes from all 7 of my diesels, from 1991 to 2023 have been horrendous, my crane guy has a stack on his kw and I love it, so much nicer to be around when it's operating

Cylinder washing can be pretty bad for sure, I've never had an issue with it in 3 years but thst doesn't mean I won't

I think overall just put some stacks on them maybe do some mod to the c700 since it has a rack
thats the plan, mainly wanting ideas and possibly pics from some people that have done it, I really would hate to spend a few hundred bucks and hours of my time on something that I may find out I hate lol

thats the plan, mainly wanting ideas and possibly pics from some people that have done it, I really would hate to spend a few hundred bucks and hours of my time on something that I may find out I hate lol
Well the big problem is where the boom and outriggers are that's where you would normally put the stack so with that being said you would have to move it over to by the door but yet again can't do that

most of these are like yours and exact same setup

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240601_061723_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240601_061723_Chrome.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 0
Well the big problem is where the boom and outriggers are that's where you would normally put the stack so with that being said you would have to move it over to by the door but yet again can't do that
boom and outriggers aren't an issue on mine, I can run the stack right up the drivers side cab corner and probably cut a hole in the headache rack for the pipe to go through

boom and outriggers aren't an issue on mine, I can run the stack right up the drivers side cab corner and probably cut a hole in the headache rack for the pipe to go through
Well then from what I've heard and seen I would say you should be fine make some cuts get you some pipe and go for it unless..... your gonna sell it then I wouldn't bother with it also if your gonna straight pipe up make sure to put a flapper so that water don't get in and when driving maybe a case of windows up so that you ain't smelling it

if it had A/C, I would lol

windows are only ever up if its below 40 degrees, or parked overnight

and yeah, might not stack it since im planning to get rid of it, certainly going to stack my dump truck tho
Oh definitely it gotta be a wad crime to not stack a dump truck lol

Oh definitely it gotta be a wad crime to not stack a dump truck lol
LOL

that DTA360 sounds pretty sweet too, maybe, just maybe the stack won't involve the factory muffler, it being a manual helps a ton, my topkick has to be held near WOT to get up my road and my neighbors don't like it, the intl will just walk up the road with almost no throttle input, nice and quiet

Latest posts

Back