Bucket truck pros and cons

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undercut

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I would like to know pros and cons of this truck.
Thanks for any help. Basically, why
would you take a look at this truck? Why would you
avoid this truck? Is this an acceptable starter tuck?

The add reads.

"1994 GMC Topkick Bucket truck with 62 ft WH Highranger, 59,000 miles, Under CDL, new PTO pump installed in 04. New tires, All maintenance records, Excellent Condition, Used Daily. "

The truck does not have an over center boom. I would like to hear anything and everything anyone has to say about this truck. The asking price is 22,000

Thanks for any thoughts and opinions.

A couple of small things to think about over and above the obvious engine/tranny etc.

Has the boom been dielectrically tested? Any cracks in the boom? What kind of shape are the hydraulic hoses and boom controls?

thanks

I think i should have it tested, good heads up, there was an accident here a month ago where a guy was killed on the ground when he touched the truck that was not correctly grounded or tested and or up to date. Definately will be looking closer into the hydraulics. Thanks, feed more questions and thoughts about what is good and bad about this truck. I am most likely going to end up with it. Is this a good/ok/bad set up for tree work? Does anyone know even though this boom is not over center can the upper boom be extended over the cab and then swing the lower boom around to acheive the same reach as an over center? Does this boom style have an advantage/disadvantage in any way? thanks keep em comming!

awesome truck if all is in order.

i hate forestry packages for residential tree work but some guys like them.i'd ask to have it inspected if it recently was not.the boom and the truck.whether it's under CDL or not the staties are gonna look at you after the 2nd Avon mountain crash.they look bad for not doing anything after the first one so they are out to cover their a$$ this time.

thanks

I like the crude drawing, lol. Although i was hoping that it would be able to open all the way up flat over the cab first then rotate all the way around 180 degrees back towards the work area assuming backing into the tree. In addition 360 would be nice. Is 360 rotation attainable? It seems like this might be a lame way to go if the crude drawing is in fact basically the booms range. Any one say this is really a bad choice? I Agree 100% on the Avon mountain thing btw...urrghhh. 100 dollar deposit is nothing to lose at this point?

i don't think you will regret buying that at all.

that is a good price if it passes inspection.i'm sure it has the 366 engine.they are pretty solid.i work on them from time to time.usually just maintenance.the under cdl trucks are hard to find around here.glad t o see you found one.we had no luck.

under cdl

yeah about the whole under cdl thing, i am almost 100% sure that the truck is technically a cdl truck. The seller is claiming a 18,000 empty weight and a 25,000 gross weight. He had a spring company put a sticker on the truck changing it's GVRW, claiming they weighed in on a scale to make these calculations. He also said he was pulled over by the DMV and they said everything was legit and fine. I had the DMV run the vin and they said it is currently in the system as an uncomplete and what ever sticker the final stage manufacturer had on it is what will classify it. Allthough in reality i believe it to be the tires/axles and suspension that determines if a truck is CDL. If a place is NHTSA certified as a repair shop they can modify GVRW in CT. I talked to such a shop and pretty much the rule of thumb is they can only add to build a truck stronger not detract to lower a trucks GVRW because it changes the safety of the actual truck. Like i wanted to derate the springs in my INT S1900 to bring it down from thirtyone thousand to twenty six. Not going to happen by a NHTSA repair shop. I found out this info from a guy at liberty tank in east hartford, the only guy that actually seemed to know what he was talking about. food for thought. so cdl or not is this a good truck? lol need more opinions please.

ohh yeah

one other thing...
been to hell i spell it, spell it d,m,v. any one who's been there knows exactly what i mean. :monkey:

Air brakes?

Does this truck have air brakes? Some states still require a Commercial Driver's License, even with the "under cdl" weight classification.

Does this truck have air brakes? Some states still require a Commercial Driver's License, even with the "under cdl" weight classification.
Not true may have to have air brake endorsement though.
I have the same boom 52pbi they are good a few areas of
concern and thing to remember!
1 where the upper boom sets in the rest make sure it has rubber
on the rest and that you always lock the boom down before roading.
2inspect the boom where it contacts that rest and see if a repair
has been made underneath side of boom! Or if a hole is developed.
3make sure the holdback cable is wired in lower sheath.
4make sure all cables and load lines are in working order and inspect
sheaths to make sure the plastic inserts are there and not wore through!
5Grease all serts on at least a weekly basis and oil compensating chain
when necessary!
6Make sure deadman microswitch is in working order and very very important
make sure it has a manual shut off switch to the dead man for roading
as stored pressure and deadman engaging will cause it to climb out of
its rest while going down the road!
7The large attachment pins in the lower boom that attach the cylinders
have snap rings that hold them in make sure the snap rings are in place
both side of pins!
8 there are more but these are some of the worst

the way i see things is like this for a bucket truck. if i cant go over center then its not a tree truck its an electrical company truck or whoever is getting into the wires.

you need to be able to go anywhere when your in the bucket and in any direction.

i think you might find yourself having to climb out of the bucket because you wont be able to reach what you need to cut.

oldirty

the way i see things is like this for a bucket truck. if i cant go over center then its not a tree truck its an electrical company truck or whoever is getting into the wires.

you need to be able to go anywhere when your in the bucket and in any direction.

i think you might find yourself having to climb out of the bucket because you wont be able to reach what you need to cut.

oldirty
Not real sure what you mean here, I work this kind of truck
for trees and reach just fine. I have run over center trucks and the main
advantage is reach straight out and the ability to L under the powerlines
although not a recommended practice. I have not seen much in the
tree work that I can't do in a high ranger but an elevator would be nice
a little more height always helps but over center does not give that and
elevator does.

Not real sure what you mean here, I work this kind of truck
for trees and reach just fine. I have run over center trucks and the main
advantage is reach straight out and the ability to L under the powerlines
although not a recommended practice. I have not seen much in the
tree work that I can't do in a high ranger but an elevator would be nice
a little more height always helps but over center does not give that and
elevator does.

i didnt see the picture of the truck until i read your post. didnt realize she was rearmount. i was thinking it was centermount.

not being able to go over center means not being able to continuously rotate right? what i was trying to say was that if you cant go around then you are going to run into trouble if you need to get over the cab right? you are going to have park the truck in such manner that allows you to get at your work right?

hey i could be dead wrong, and have been in the past, but i know my lack of terminology is killing me in what i am trying to say here.

the type of truck i was thinkn of would be run by the local power company.

a guy i used to work for had one and it was a PIA because i really couldnt do too much unless put in the perfect position to work.

oh well

oldirty

The fact that its a rear mount will help with the lack of over center booms.
You may have to move the truck during a pruning or take down. A new aeriel lift of Conn. is over 125 K. i suggest you put lift boom over boom straight up and rock lower boom while someone else looks for movment at the turret, pins and bushings. If its mechanically sound it will pay for itself in no time.
Good luck.

Corey

A lot of booms that don't go over center have 360 degree rotation. The two functions are not related.

On some of the newer better booms both the lower and upper booms go over center. The get a lot better side reach.

I had an Asplundh LR50, forestry body. The upper boom went over center (270 degrees movement) but the bottom boom only went from horizontal to straight up (90 degrees)

I later had an Aerial Lift of Conn. Forestry body. The upper boom did 270 degrees....and the lower boom went to 135 degrees. Lots more side reach.

Now I have a High Ranger 65ft. rear mount. Bottom boom goes to 90 degrees and the upper boom 180.

All three had 360 degree rotation.
+1 he must have been thinking of non continuous units but even those
can do ok just need to set up proper!

Under cut you will like the flatbed easy to back and much
lighter in yards than my utility body but I can lock and store
my gear does it have a pto winch?

Last edited:
great info

Can anyone comment on Tree Co's crude drawing? Everyone agree that is the functionaly of the boom? definately 52pbi? I was wondering if it could also be opened up the opposite way inorder to get full reach of the boom. I know it would not be able to put the bucket on the ground this way but it could still get the max reach horizontaly.????? or in other words lifted up a little off the cradle then turned around 180 degrees on the base then put the top boom over 180 so it could go straight back? -----------------> kinda like my cruder drawing?...

Can anyone comment on Tree Co's crude drawing? Everyone agree that is the functionaly of the boom? definately 52pbi? I was wondering if it could also be opened up the opposite way inorder to get full reach of the boom. I know it would not be able to put the bucket on the ground this way but it could still get the max reach horizontaly.????? or in other words lifted up a little off the cradle then turned around 180 degrees on the base then put the top boom over 180 so it could go straight back? -----------------> kinda like my cruder drawing?...

No it will not go all the way over straight out but big deal it will go
high and with a little practice you will learn to set it up and will get most
trees done in one set up.
A little different than both drawings if I knew how to do a drawing
I could show the manuvers.
The lower boom comes over a little more than 90 like 100 degrees
and the upper does not go straight up and if it did you would be in serious trouble!

Last edited:
It will not have the side reach that an over the center boom would have.

I suspect the boom you are looking at will move in the directions shown in my crude drawing.

attachment.php

hey, thats better than some of the owners manuals, i have read!!!!

I like the crude drawing, lol. Although i was hoping that it would be able to open all the way up flat over the cab first then rotate all the way around 180 degrees back towards the work area assuming backing into the tree. In addition 360 would be nice. Is 360 rotation attainable? It seems like this might be a lame way to go if the crude drawing is in fact basically the booms range. Any one say this is really a bad choice? I Agree 100% on the Avon mountain thing btw...urrghhh. 100 dollar deposit is nothing to lose at this point?

most newer units go 360....

what are you trying to accomplish by flipping the boom over the cab????

i run a 65' hi ranger, on a gmc (izuzu) cab over forestry package...

had to flip the boom today,, you gain some reach, but sacrifice hieght.

the controls work in reverse,, so you really don't save any time, because you are always trying to figure out if " up is up, or is up down,,, goes for left right also .."

i wish i had a rear mount boom,, just back up to the tree,,, utilize the whole range of the boom,, i have to reach over 8 foot of truck if i nose up to a tree... and worry about dropping stuff on the cab...

and for a last note,, i wouldn't run the boom flipped over off the side of the truck... had the out rigger pick up in normal mode a few times....

Latest posts

Back