bucket trucks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey what are your opinions on bucket trucks. I know absolutely nothing of bucket trucks and was wondering what the concensus is amongst the arborists finest. Are they safer than climbing? (obviously I mean from a playing it safe standpoint not that you can be careless and it will be okay). What about the upkeep expenses? How would rigging work the same as if one were to climb? Any thoughts would be appreciated!!!

i'm just learning to use a bucket . i always climbed before. there great for removal work, but in some case's you could prune a tree better being tied in. when pruning with a bucket to tend to remove branches needlessly just to punch holes in the canopy to get the bucket in. its nice when you could use the bucket to put a climber in the tree, then lower it down and have a second guy in the bucket cleaning up the tips. for removals you do things that are against the rules if climbing. some times you'll take the top out first, which is a no no when climbing. i still find it faster to use a bucket and rig for removals than cutting every thing small and throwing it. my boss just bought a 68ft altec on a gmc chassis with a cat diesel and allison trans. what a sweet truck. i told him to trade it in in 4-5 years and get a new one to avoid the boom maintanence.

A bucket is a tool the can be used or abused. If you have a high volume of big tree work you can make them pay there way.

Other then that...what Ken said.

But then your one of those tree hack bucket butches that take off twelve inch limbs from poplar trees...oh I was mistakin you for someone else;)

Back