Buckin Ash & Trying different chain configurations.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I felled an ash just like the one towards the end of his video.
Took 7 wedges to build up enough "direction" and it fell exactly where I wanted it between three smaller trees.
Had a bit more lean than this one, and was a somewhat recent poison ivy host. Which made it less fun.

Good to see him thinking through the lean like that. I think too many people with little experience don't really look at the tree from a lot of angles. For mine I looked at it on three separate days and formed the plan. Having a crew and rope or a cherry picker makes it easier, but so satisfying to see it lay down so well without the assist.

Some good sized trees you were felling :). I have ever seen anybody bore or "plunge" through the face in the middle like that. Interesting. I don't do anything too fancy really, either open faced Humboldt or conventional, I usually bore in, set my hinge, center-out the back and leave my "trigger", bang a couple wedges in, make sure everybody is clear and cut my trigger below my back cut, then POP there she goes! All fun stuff. And its cool to see different techniques other people use as well. :)

" I have ever seen anybody bore or "plunge" through the face in the middle like that. Interesting. I don't do anything too fancy really, either open faced Humboldt or conventional, I usually bore in, set my hinge, center-out the back and leave my "trigger", bang a couple wedges in, make sure everybody is clear and cut my trigger below my back cut, then POP there she goes!
Yup works for my ash tree's but for what it's worth, stick with what you know!

The one at 5 minutes in, call that a whirling dervish? Amazing cut, thanks for sharing.
With my capabilities I would never try that much spin, or that aggressive a plunge cut. You make it look easy, which it certainly isn't.

I recently had a large Ash fall onto another large ash and get hung up.
Felled a third large ash right into where the hangup was, bringing all three down.
Wish I had a video of that one. But my cut was pretty simple.

Latest posts

Back