Bug Dope

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Elm

Ridgerunner
Reaction score
There's a thread on here about wanting it to be winter again because everyone sick of the bugs and heat. I don't want to hijack that thread so will start this one.

What do you use to fight the bugs? Here is my regimen, but I am open to suggestions.

25% deet. Helps with mosquitos, chiggers, ticks.

Avon Skin So Soft. Put on all over before gettin dressed. Aint proud I use it but I think it definitely helps against chiggers and deer ticks.

Buggins. Use it for the buffalo gnats, which i'm told are part of the black fly family. Vanilla and absorbine jr help w these too.

Even w all of this I still get bit up. I work in the woods.

Anything with deet works for Mosquitos. I basically spray any exposed skin except face and also hit my hat and clothing. Headnet when necessary.

Horse and deer flies are more of a nuisance. Whip out a butterfly net and scoop up and kill a few of them and the swarm leaves you alone pretty quickly.

Gnats and no-see-ins can make life interesting. Long socks and bug spray on lower body helps as they like to walk up your legs and chew on some area you can't reach. Sometimes need a headnet when mowing sandy areas in early summer, especially before dark.

Forgot to mention biting "house" flys that come out in mid summer. Heavy bug spray and a fly swatter as they bite through clothing. Faster than heck so you usually can't smack then.

I use human to bug telepathy. I tell them leave me alone or total war...

Honest, don't use anything but put up with the heat and wear long pants and long sleeved shirt when out working. Kicking around the yard or going into town I will wear shorts and a T shirt.

I truly believe that bugs are much worse up north than down south here.

Yes we've got you outnumbered in the Mosquitos and flies department. But you have all the big creepy crawly bugs that take more than one hit with a shoe to kill.

Worst Mosquitos I've ever seen: right here at home.

Worst in you mouth and eyes bug situation I've seen: Northwest Territories, Canada.

Yes we've got you outnumbered in the Mosquitos and flies department. But you have all the big creepy crawly bugs that take more than one hit with a shoe to kill.

Worst Mosquitos I've ever seen: right here at home.

Worst in you mouth and eyes bug situation I've seen: Northwest Territories, Canada.

Oh, we sell those big huge bugs fried to the yankee tourists as land shrimp...

Permethrin for your clothes and deet for your skin.

What he said. Permethrin-based products repel ticks by KILLING them. I spray clothing with the .5% Sawyer's stuff. Reputedly lasts for six washings or a season. You've got to look for it, and be careful how you apply it. (When wet it can kill cats!) Do not apply it to your skin. I buy this stuff by the pint, rather than make ER visits. I apply it to pants (cuffs & waist), socks, shirts (collar, waist, zipper), and hats. Once per season, and no probs.

Deet stuff has no effect on ticks, but works against mosquitos and other insects on exposed skin. I like the stuff with sun-block added. Anybody know if deet works against blackflies? Might help against loss of pieces of meat.

It's not about annoying or painful bites. Ticks and insects carry a variety of really nasty diseases. Best not to become a teachable subject.

There's a thread on here about wanting it to be winter again because everyone sick of the bugs and heat. I don't want to hijack that thread so will start this one.

What do you use to fight the bugs? Here is my regimen, but I am open to suggestions.

25% deet. Helps with mosquitos, chiggers, ticks.

Avon Skin So Soft. Put on all over before gettin dressed. Aint proud I use it but I think it definitely helps against chiggers and deer ticks.

Buggins. Use it for the buffalo gnats, which i'm told are part of the black fly family. Vanilla and absorbine jr help w these too.

Even w all of this I still get bit up. I work in the woods.
Any repellant with DEET works wll for me.I also add just a bit more oil to the saw fuel for more smoke.Black flys are brutal up here in the north country until the 4th of July then they seem to go on vacation.

Ok I thought maybe that was the main ingredient in "boiled peanuts" at roadside stands. LOL

Just had a buddy talking about boiled peanuts a few minutes ago. He just moved to Gulfport las week. He and his wife stopped at a roadside stand and tried them. Are they really bugs or just boiled peanuts?

The other day I got sprayed with some diesel fuel at work. I went into the woods cutting wood right after work and NO mosquito bites! I don't think I will try it again.

Thanks for the tips guys.
What he said. Permethrin-based products repel ticks by KILLING them. I spray clothing with the .5% Sawyer's stuff. Reputedly lasts for six washings or a season. You've got to look for it, and be careful how you apply it. (When wet it can kill cats!) Do not apply it to your skin. I buy this stuff by the pint, rather than make ER visits. I apply it to pants (cuffs & waist), socks, shirts (collar, waist, zipper), and hats. Once per season, and no probs.

Deet stuff has no effect on ticks, but works against mosquitos and other insects on exposed skin. I like the stuff with sun-block added. Anybody know if deet works against blackflies? Might help agains loss of pieces of meat.

It's not about annoying or painful bites. Ticks and insects carry a variety of really nasty diseases. Best not to become a teachable subject.

Yeah, I've been treated for Lyme twice and the Eye Doc suspects I've had a mild case of west nile sometime In the past. The hazards of working in the timber and living among the big rivers.

Eat spicy foods. Garlic, Onions, cayenne pepper, black pepper. Bath with unscented soaps, avoid smelly after shaves, body lotions and the like, and You will find you are less bothered by flying bugs and insects.

Other than bug dopes I haven't worn anything scented since high school. I dont care to walk around smelling like a Lithuanian cat house anytime.

Honest, don't use anything but put up with the heat and wear long pants and long sleeved shirt when out working. Kicking around the yard or going into town I will wear shorts and a T shirt.

Not a problem Zogger. Other than t-shirts I dont even own a short sleeved shirt and I haven't worn "short pants" in 45 years.

Was falling in the river bluffs today. Picked at least a dozen wood ticks off my clothes while cutting. Got home for a shower and only one stuck to me, a good day.

Just had a buddy talking about boiled peanuts a few minutes ago. He just moved to Gulfport las week. He and his wife stopped at a roadside stand and tried them. Are they really bugs or just boiled peanuts?
Nope they are real and very good. In a past life I lived in north Florida and have high respect for southern culture and traditions. North Florida is still the south, not "Florida" where everyone is from somewhere else.

The other day I got sprayed with some diesel fuel at work. I went into the woods cutting wood right after work and NO mosquito bites! I don't think I will try it again.
My friend's dad was in the Navy on river patrol boats in Vietnam. He said diesel was the only thing that would keep the bugs off you over there.

Back