Bug ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4cyl2vy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
What is this thing? Seems to leave 1/8 inch holes through bark but not into the wood below. I have been burning the wood that these things seem to have eaten through so far. I am not leaving any wood inside. It does not seem to be in any places other than the wood that these splits came from.

IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

I don't know what it is, but I've seen it in some pine rounds I let sit around for 8 months before I split. The seem pretty docile to me, but one did bite me the other day! Just a quick pinch, and no lasting effect, but I was surprised!

Check out some pictures of locust or hickory borers. It's probably one or the other. Not likley to infest a home.

+1 on the locust/hickory borer. I brought a few of those home last summer taking down a standing dead hickory. They were everywhere for about 3-5days while I was geting it split up and knocking off bark. No sign of them since.

I do have a cord or 2 of locust that is in my wood pile inventory. The bug and the bark came from a red oak, but I guess anything is possible. It does look quite similar to the locust borer I see in the pictures on the interwebs. Thanks for the help all.

Back