Building workshop near maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaydo

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm wanting to build a backyard workshop 24'x22' and I'm looking for advice in regards to the trees near the building site. I have a fairly large maple (silver maybe?) in my yard and a walnut(not sure on this) in the neighbours yard.

I would like to keep the tree if possible. If I have to remove it I would like to plant a new tree for shade for the lawn.

Below are the details, thanks!!

In the south there is a .47m (18.5in) DBH maple is 3.82m (12.5ft) from the foundation.

The 0.43m(17in) DBH walnut(?) is 3.15m(10ft) from the north edge.

A couple of questions. Building on footings or slab. Trying to get a feel for how much digging would be done. Also what pruning would be needed to give the building clearance. Tree is not one of the large, over mature ones that would be very sensitive.

Thanks old maple,

I am thinking of doing a thickened edge floating slab. As the site is quite level already I wouldn't need to remove much soil, just the organic layers, then I would add gravel to the center of the slab to make the 4" slab thickness, with a 12"x 12" thickened edge.

The workshop will have 9' walls, at current siting it should clear the larger branch. Some of the smaller branches off of it may need to be pruned.

Jay

Food for thought, I am currently remodeling a house built in the 60's; sometime in the past a Red Maple was planted ~20' from the house. We found roots of the Red Maple ~8' in under the house. I am in Central GA and the house is on a foundation, not a slab. I hope it won't cause problems in the future. I will try to get a picture later today to show the distance.

I think your spacing should be fine but consider if you do keep the maple the removal cost will be higher due to your shed. Silver maples are fast, large growers.

If it was my place the maple would come out now to be replaced by more more desirable trees.

I think your spacing should be fine but consider if you do keep the maple the removal cost will be higher due to your shed. Silver maples are fast, large growers.

If it was my place the maple would come out now to be replaced by more more desirable trees.

Definitely open to a better tree. Any suggestions?

Back