Built a new Alaskan mill and been back at it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimdad07

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Haven't done much milling in a long time, the carriage mill hasn't worked out as well as I wanted it to so it's back to the Alaskan. I almost have what I need to build a band saw mill, that will be nice. I plan to make it stationary and use the Alaskan on the road so to speak. Just got this mill done here this last week and I have been using it, much nicer than the first one that I made out of unistrut. Heck, haven't been in here is a long time either. I have trouble hanging out unless I have something to contribute to the discussion and I haven't had much in a long time.
100MEDIA_IMAG0033_zpse1b2291d.jpg
100MEDIA_IMAG0035_zps3a0e37d5.jpg
100MEDIA_IMAG0036_zpsec2dfcdb.jpg
100MEDIA_IMAG0040_zpsc7d6c2a3.jpg
100MEDIA_IMAG0041_zps57cb9fa2.jpg

Welcome...

Always good to have a quality guy back.

Looks like some nice work. Maybe let us know how you built it.... and thanks for the pics, makes me want to get out there and do the juniper I've been hanging onto.

Dolmar PS9000 or 9010?

It's the 9010 with a 28" bar and ripping chain. I've been so busy the last year or two that I haven't been able to do a lot of milling. Making time for it again plus I have a good stock pile of logs built up that I have to get milled up. Was out in the shop tonight ripping those slabs into 2"x6" boards for a garden shed I have to put up for the lawn mower and the Gravelys. The log in the pic is one of twelve that I just picked up a few miles away, guy was giving them away. Good logs with a lot of good lumber in them, should be enough there to frame the new little shed and I have enough cottonwood logs to mill siding for the building.

Always good to have a quality guy back.

Looks like some nice work. Maybe let us know how you built it.... and thanks for the pics, makes me want to get out there and do the juniper I've been hanging onto.

I copied Sachsmo's mill a little bit, used about the same aluminum stock that he did. Nice and light, the first one I made was out of unistrut and it was a bear to he-man around along with the old 045 I used to use to mill with. Two carriage bolts to loosen to adjust the mill up and down plus I filed inch marks into the uprights to make it quick to adjust. Going to mount an aux oiler on the nose end to the upright to get a little more oil flowing to the chain. Right now I am getting a 22" cut on the 28" bar, I might up it to a 32" bar but right now it is working smooth enough that I might leave it alone. Another member on here has an 088 lower end that he is giving me, I'll make another milling saw out of that. Right now though I have no complaints about the 9010.

Going to mount an aux oiler on the nose end to the upright to get a little more oil flowing to the chain. Right now I am getting a 22" cut on the 28" bar, I might up it to a 32" bar but right now it is working smooth enough that I might leave it alone. Another member on here has an 088 lower end that he is giving me, I'll make another milling saw out of that. Right now though I have no complaints about the 9010.

22" isn't bad, but once you get 28"+ in hardwood it becomes a bit more noticeable. I've been curious about the big Dolmars, and have only seen pictures of them on rare occasion. The 9000 or 9010 could interest me.

The 088 should make for a pretty stout miller. If they didn't take different bars than the 066/660 I might have been looking for one of those. Instead, I bought a 42" for my 3120 and converted it to 3/8 from .404.

22" isn't bad, but once you get 28"+ in hardwood it becomes a bit more noticeable. I've been curious about the big Dolmars, and have only seen pictures of them on rare occasion. The 9000 or 9010 could interest me.

The 088 should make for a pretty stout miller. If they didn't take different bars than the 066/660 I might have been looking for one of those. Instead, I bought a 42" for my 3120 and converted it to 3/8 from .404.

It's unfortunate that they stopped making the 9010 and the 9000, they are a well made machine. God bless the EPA and all their great restrictions.

You always have something positive to contribute, when you do.

Lately with the mill still snowed in, when the itch happens, the csm comes out, for a little personal quiet time.

My Peltor tunes.

You always have something positive to contribute, when you do.

Lately with the mill still snowed in, when the itch happens, the csm comes out, for a little personal quiet time.

My Peltor tunes.

The same here. Running a saw clears my mind, the ear protection with the radio built in is great too. I can hook my smarta$$ phone into the ear phones and play my old country on Pandora, I'm 31 and still living before my time with the music I like.

It's unfortunate that they stopped making the 9010 and the 9000, they are a well made machine. God bless the EPA and all their great restrictions.

My Dolmars are in Makita blue, but smaller saws that the EPA killed as well. The 401 is my favorite lightweight and I'm really liking the 540, but had to open the mufflers and retune both to make 'em runl ike they can.

My 3120 is the earlier, higher rev lmit version, and I've just picked up a pretty clean 394xp. I want to see how the 394 compares to the 066BB on the mill.

My Dolmars are in Makita blue, but smaller saws that the EPA killed as well. The 401 is my favorite lightweight and I'm really liking the 540, but had to open the mufflers and retune both to make 'em runl ike they can.

My 3120 is the earlier, higher rev lmit version, and I've just picked up a pretty clean 394xp. I want to see how the 394 compares to the 066BB on the mill.

I don't have much experience with the big Husky saws but I am willing to try one out sometime. I hear they are pretty good work horses though.

I have a good day of milling planned out for tomorrow, right next to my driveway. Crank the stove up in the new shop, throw a pot of coffee on and have a darn good day. Have a bunch of those big cottonwood quarters left to mill along with a mess of good clear pine logs. Looking forward to it.

Did some more milling today, came home with some nice slabs, one side squared for the table saw. Had my helpers today, nephew and a few curious bystanders. Anyhow saw ran pretty darn good except I lost one muffler bolt and the other two were lose before I noticed the rattle. Thankfully I run that saw very rich and no damage was done, running on two bolts instead of three but that's my fault for not doing a regular inspection before and after each day of milling. I clean the saw up afterwards and now I will be going through with the T-27 too.
ffe633b3-7e36-4c00-893a-89b175b82a02_zps473716be.jpg

I got a 79 f 250 club cab camper special it has the rear axle moved 7 " back . It just rolled 135 k got it new ,been a good truck . Got a new gmc but i like the old ford it tough and nobody pulls out in front of me:D

I got a 79 f 250 club cab camper special it has the rear axle moved 7 " back . It just rolled 135 k got it new ,been a good truck . Got a new gmc but i like the old ford it tough and nobody pulls out in front of me:D

They sure did make em right back then.

Haven't done much milling in a long time,

Jim,

Good to see your back at it. I have a couple of trees lined up myself for milling and will get to them soon. I've been making things with wood I milled a few years back. Bluerider and myself are working together to make some wine tables/stools, we're working on the prototypes now.

Is that a maple tree you milled?

jerry-

Jim,

Good to see your back at it. I have a couple of trees lined up myself for milling and will get to them soon. I've been making things with wood I milled a few years back. Bluerider and myself are working together to make some wine tables/stools, we're working on the prototypes now.

Is that a maple tree you milled?

jerry-

These were are all pine and hemlock logs, I have four more on site to do and seven that I brought home on the truck. I have milled three of them so far and here are all but two of the slabs in the shop:
100MEDIA_IMAG0048_zpsd83a33c1.jpg

Latest posts

Back