Built a new Alaskan mill and been back at it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These were are all pine and hemlock logs, I have four more on site to do and seven that I brought home on the truck. I have milled three of them so far and here are all but two of the slabs in the shop:
100MEDIA_IMAG0048_zpsd83a33c1.jpg

Once you get them stickered/weighted they should dry real nice. You know, I took out some black oak slabs I milled two years ago that were 1-1/2" thick to make this table I'm working on and when I checked it for moisture it was dead '0'. We thought something was wrong with the meter and stuck it in a tree to check it, and it gave us a moisture reading. Our climate here is pretty dry during the summer months, and I do have the slabs covered, but they still get some air movement. Out of the two pieces I took out I had a bit of cupping on the edge of one slab and that was all, so I was pretty happy.

jerry-

Once you get them stickered/weighted they should dry real nice. You know, I took out some black oak slabs I milled two years ago that were 1-1/2" thick to make this table I'm working on and when I checked it for moisture it was dead '0'. We thought something was wrong with the meter and stuck it in a tree to check it, and it gave us a moisture reading. Our climate here is pretty dry during the summer months, and I do have the slabs covered, but they still get some air movement. Out of the two pieces I took out I had a bit of cupping on the edge of one slab and that was all, so I was pretty happy.

jerry-

I'm looking forward to seeing what you make, I bet the tables turn out nice. A moisture meter is something I have to invest in, I'm going to try out my multimeter set on meg ohms to see if I can get any indication. I'll try it in some kiln dried wood and in green to see what I get. I'm a cheap cuss for the most part.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you make, I bet the tables turn out nice.

I'm working on a butterfly for an end crack. Just couldn't bring myself to cutting the slab much shorter. I'll post pictures of the table when I'm done in the, 'what are you building with your milled lumber'.

A moisture meter is something I have to invest in, I'm going to try out my multimeter set on meg ohms to see if I can get any indication. I'll try it in some kiln dried wood and in green to see what I get. I'm a cheap cuss for the most part.

Never tried an ohms meter. You can get an expensive moisture meter at one of the big box stores for not much money. Maybe $40.00

I just sold two Doug fir slabs that were 2-1/2" thick x 28" wide x 9' for $250 each that were dry and now I have more $$ I can put into the shop fund for stuff. Sold them to a winery that wanted them for portable wine tasting tables at their winery and events they attend for serving wine/food. You should see if any winery in your area would be interested in your slabs for those type of uses. Mill, load in truck, haul to the winery, collect $$. I loved it!

Take care,
jerry-

hows your bar holding up ? ,i don't see an extra oiler mounted up

Bar is holding up quite well, I do plan on putting an auxilary oiler on it. The Dolly puts out good oil but not quite enough.

As for pictures, I will take some more closer up the next time I take it out. It's about as simple as it gets, the whole thing is bolted together and only has one carriage bolt on each riser to loosen and tighten for hieght adjustment. Believe it or not, even with just one bolt it doesn't move a bit out of kilter.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you make, I bet the tables turn out nice. A moisture meter is something I have to invest in, I'm going to try out my multimeter set on meg ohms to see if I can get any indication. I'll try it in some kiln dried wood and in green to see what I get. I'm a cheap cuss for the most part.

Jim,

Here is a link to what myself and Bluerider have been building with our milled wood.

jerry-

http://www.arboristsite.com/milling-saw-mills/47084-57.htm#post4245627

Been milling today, cut some 4x4's with the mini-mill today. Got some with my nephew running the saw, kid sure does enjoy milling. The last pic is of cutting some 2x4's out of some of the slabs I brought home a couple of weeks ago. Was cutting seven at a time.
100MEDIA_IMAG0051_zps7f9dc0be.jpg
100MEDIA_IMAG0050_zps0cea7f5d.jpg
100MEDIA_IMAG0049_zps2ac3de7a.jpg
100MEDIA_IMAG0052_zpscd350774.jpg
100MEDIA_IMAG0053_zps73475c92.jpg
100MEDIA_IMAG0054_zpsb9696e1b.jpg

made machine. God bless the EPA and all their great restrictions.
11.jpg

12.jpg

15.jpg

12.jpg

Latest posts

Back