Bundled Firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyM

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've been selling firewood on the side for the last couple years, and although I don't make a lot of money, I do enjoy the work, and it's cheaper than a gym membership.

The Michigan DNR ran an add in the local paper asking for bids on providing bundled firewood to a local state park, and I was considering making one. I had a brief conversation with the park office and they said they typically use 1500 12"X12"X16" bundles, around 16 chord of wood, during the season. I'm waiting on the DNR to mail a bid package which will give more detail, but meanwhile, I'd like to know if anyone has had any experience with such an endeavor that they'd be willing to share, maybe even some recomendation of a bundle price.

a bundle down here retails for $4-$6 depending on where you buy it. I sell a full cord for $225 (and yes i have backed off on my price by $75 per cord because so many others decided to get in on the act this year:rolleyes: ) delivered not stacked.

$225 a cord man I oughta send you some wood for that price I only get between 150-180 a cord cut/split/delivered around here.but the bundles usually go for around 5-10 bucks..

Later Rob.

Some industrious Amish folk near here have plastic-wrapped 0.8ft^3 bundles of evidently mixed hardwood, and with a pretty cloth carrying strap tacked to it, set outside the local country general store.  The pile is constantly shrinking and being replenished.  The store rings them up at $2.75 (US) plus sales tax.  That comes to $466.40/cord according to my calculations, and I don't know what the store's take is, but I'd imagine it must be at least 50¢/bundle.

Glen

i sell by the "rick" 4x8, 18" long sticks. sell them $40 you pick it up. $50 delivered and stacked.

I live on the outskirts of a state park in PA with over 100 campsites. There is a cottage industry of homeowners on the boundary and along the entrance routes that sell "campwood"; which amounts to an armload, usually for $3-4. The local minimarts are also in on it, with stacks of hardwood bundled in plastic. I don't believe the park actually sells any wood, and I don't think the locals would let them.

Man,
I need to move.
I have a hard time getting $50.00 a full sized pick-up load heaped up( About 2 ricks) delivered.( no stack)

my price does NOT include stacking!! i have found that stacking is a waste of time, people are rarely willing to pay for your time to stack and when you build it in to the cost they complain:rolleyes:

Here is a wrapper I am trying to buy right now. I sell 6-8 pieces of hardwood for 5 dollars. Self serve. I have a friend who is retired that ties it and stacks it .

http://bundleofwarmth.com/

this a huge operartion that sells out of the gas stations and minimarts around me. 4.75

When they say "bundled", how do they mean? Around bundled is shrink wrapped with a carrying handle, goes for about $5.00. You might want to look into what the specialized machine and materials will cost. Might not be worth it for only 16 cords but maybe you could pursue some other outlets as well. A local logger here only sells firewood to Aubuchon hardware, 500 cord a year, but Aubuchon does the packaging at their local distribution facility.

A customer came by today that is selling pickup loads, you come and get it $45. Its not all thuroughly seasoned, but its all good hardwood. He will not deliver and stack. Same thing some of you guys say, no one wants to pay what its worth to haul it and stack it.

About the best buy around is a guy who loads a dumptruck with his Kubota, delivers it dumped not stacked, for $100. (not fully seasoned). It stacks out to about 3/4 of a cord.

I know one situation where this guys wife "makes" him remove the unused firewood from the perimises in the off season. He needs a little better contract. I suspect he has got more than a wood carring problem.

Around here, a face cord goes for about 35 bucks US, if you pick up. Delivered runs around 40-45 bucks. Cut, split, and seasoned.
Thats what is in the classified ads. Don't know what the bundles go for. I think around 3-5 bucks, but most is slab wood from portable mill cutoffs.

hey ryan ,this ice storm has some residual side affects huh. im thinking about just burning my wood myself.
next yr with all this ice storm wood cured out,the firewood price make take a beating,in this area.

Thanks for all the replies. I started selling wood two years ago when after three years ago there was a huge shortage of firewood and the prices were premium. Since then it seems everyone and their brother started selling wood, and on top of that we had a good storm blow through here a year ago that leveled some pretty good trees, adding even more to the supply of firewood. Even with that, I've been getting $125 for a full chord of red/white oak, split and delivered. If I can't sell it for that, I'll burn it myself. I thought that this bundled firewood might be more profitable with less hard labor, since most of the value is added from the packaging. I was thinking somewhere in the 2.50-3.00 range per bundle. I'll probably bid on the high side to make it worth while if I happen to get it. I'm not sure yet what can be used for bundling. I was even thinking about a couple larger zip ties, one around each end.

Okay, get this. I received my bid package from the DNR today. I can't believe anyone would waste their time for this deal. The price per bundle is fixed at $3.00, out of which you are responsible for sales tax. On top of that, the wood concession must be manned Wednsday-Sunday from 6-9 through the better part of three months, and either Friday or Saturday for 2 hours during two other months. Out of that, I'm suposed to make a bid offer to the DNR for how much I'M GOING TO PAY THEM for the right to sell at the state park! No thanks, I think I'll pass. So, anyone in Barry County Michigan want some firewood?

old post but thot id mention.. i trow my wood in a pile where the grade doesnt allow water under.. just thro it rite u dont need to stackor store except on the ground.. it.. unless customer insist .. theypay then..

In reference to your Firewood Sales, here in Florida all that I sell is cured Split Oak. I get all of the logs that I can handle for free & I still can hardly make any money at it. I generally sell about 100 Cords per year & our firewood use during the year here is from about Thanksgiving through Valentines Day. Wal-Mart & Target sell 5-7 piece bundles for $5.00. I sell the majority of my wood at Christmas Tree Lots during the season & I get about $100/Cord delivered & stacked. There is a lot of competition down here & it is hardly worth the while except for free logs & it is great exercise.

Back