Burl Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I assume you mean bur oak. How much trees are sold for depends on a multitude of factors, logging costs, distance to markets, tree quality, volume of the sale, ect. and probably can't be answered in a forum like this without someone with local knowledge.

Most trees on urban lots and homestyeads will only be bought by small portable mill operators. Around here is is 40-80 a log with a minimum length of 9ft without sweep or branch. small end, inside bark dia. 18 inches. I have to have them at the side of the road for pickup too. Can get a little more for them delivered.

Of all the Oaks, Burr Oak is probably on the low end of the quality scale, used mostly as utility grade. Sometimes it is hard to distinguish some species of Oak when buying them on the stump or as logs, so be careful. I believe Burr Oak belongs to the White Oak Family.
John

Yup it is of the white subgenus. Over here the mills will not differentiate between white and bur. They've told me that they will saw off the sapwood for high grade and send the heard wood the the pallet shops.

Hi John, I recall my Tiawanese veneer buyer bought about 30,000 ft. of Burr Oak @2400/thou U.S., thinking it was White Oak, then had to sell it at 80 cents CDN to a mill after finding out.
When I found a good stand of Swamp White Oak, he wanted nothing to do with it so I left it standing. Some of the trees exceeded 4' dia. I cant tell you how many times I checked my books to verify the species, as to Mossycup, Swamp, Burr, White, Stave, etc. etc.
Burr, however, seems to be quite distinguishable, due to its burry, knotty appearance. An Italian buyer called it Blue Cherry Oak, but never showed the color of his money
John

Last edited:
One of the problems with oak is it's proniscuity within the subgenus'. I've been in a few that I had to puzzle on for a while and had to guess at it's being a natural hybrid.

Latest posts

Back