Burlap'd Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pondracer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just had a 8' Japanese Tree Lilac planted and they didn't remove the burlap from the ball... is that normal?

Thanks,

Jeff G.

It's fine if the burlap is not green in color. The green ones are treated so as to not rot. The normal burlap will disspear in a few seasons. Also if it is sticking above ground it can wick away moisture from the ball. If you see it above the ground level cut it off at ground level. Good luck.
tom

We used to slice them in a couple places as I remember. It has been a while since I was on a job site with burlap. Down this far in Florida the ball holds together great because most of the nursery has marl for dirt.

tomreeve said:
It's fine if the burlap is not green in color. The green ones are treated so as to not rot. The normal burlap will disspear in a few seasons. Also if it is sticking above ground it can wick away moisture from the ball. If you see it above the ground level cut it off at ground level. Good luck.
tom
Tom's right, but you should remove all you can without disturbing the roots--get itout below soil level too. Remove the top of the wire basket too if it's there, while you're at it.

Also whole you're there, check for the trunk flare to make sure it isn't buried or girdled by roots: http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare/tree_planting.asp

Post a picture if you want detailed comments.

Back