Burning Coal In a Wood Furnace?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bituminous if I remember correctly... the softer version is all that's produced in OK.

thanks for the link to coal burning forums....

since I live in the city with neighbors close by. really concerned about smoke. except for startup getting up to temps, my JUCA insert burns very clean. can't tell it burning at all from a distance, almost no smoke.

before I head down to buy a coal grate and a ton of coal. will burning coal really smoke?

there ya go ! Give it a Whirl. But be warned, you might get hooked on burning coal. I will have to also say that burning coal takes a totally different technique than burning wood. It is a fickle beast but once you get it figured out, it is an awesome fuel source. Check out the coal burning forum link I put up earlier in this thread. I will explain all the differences and answer any question you have.

BTW, I am guessing you are ging to get Bituminous coal, make sure you find out what kind of coal it is. Each kind of coal requires different burning techniques.

Last edited:
I kind of breezed throught the post, so I am sorry if I missed someone saying this already. Besides the temperature and air requirements being different for a coal stove/furnace, you also have to worry about the exhaust. Coal has a tendency to make sulfuric acid because it releases sulfur when it burns. Your flu liner, cap, and flashing could all be negatively effected by this.

Wow, this guy got banned before I could even reply to this post today...

Anyway, was reading yesterday that 20% of the mercury in Oregon rivers is from China burning coal and the smoke drifting across the Pacific. I also read a long time ago that there is a lot of uranium and other radioactive ilk that is also in some types of coal that gets released when burning it.

No coal available out here, really. Used to be a lot of coal mines in southwest Oregon in the 1800s. Coos Bay was a coal port for several decades. I do not know what type of coal seams they had here. Not much info on the subject, other tham historical.

Last edited:
I burned a 55 gal. barrel of ND lignite throughout the season last year. I just threw in a few lumps on top of the wood. MAybe it wasn't as effective as in a coal burner, but I am sure I got some heat out of it. The coal was just going to waste in an old barn of my FIL's. Kind of messy compared to wood and the smoke doesn't smell near as nice.

Back