Burning pallets?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JUDGE1162

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
OK I know not to burn normal shipping pallets but there is a marble and granite place near my work they use large/thick oak pallets (8 to 10 foot long by 4 foot wide) the runners are 4x4s with 2x4 straps it does not seem like it is treated, I grabbed a few pieces to burn outside to see if there is any extra smoke or odor. My question is if it is free of any treatments is using (dried lumber basically) ok in a wood stove (Quadra fire) so no cat just secondary burn.

Pressure treated lumber is bad, but how about plywood?

I understand there are some nasty chemicals used in US plywood.

OK I know not to burn normal shipping pallets but there is a marble and granite place near my work they use large/thick oak pallets (8 to 10 foot long by 4 foot wide) the runners are 4x4s with 2x4 straps it does not seem like it is treated, I grabbed a few pieces to burn outside to see if there is any extra smoke or odor. My question is if it is free of any treatments is using (dried lumber basically) ok in a wood stove (Quadra fire) so no cat just secondary burn.

I built my woodsheds from the 4x4 runners from pallets, strong, big enough, and the right price, free. I haven't found any crating lumber that didn't contain chemicals that dirtied up the chimney faster, even after three years of beinig outside.

Like Ray said, cut the joints and discard.

I also have a quad and burned oak palets the first month I had it, they burn Hella HOT!

So hot that I no longer feel the need to burn them as they could damage the stove (any stove!) if you set the damper wrong.

If they werent so much work I would still burn them, but mixed in with regular wood for safetys sake.

Latest posts

Back