Burning wood from the inside out!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that's a fine idea. Between the sawdust from my wood shop and the woodpile, I could keep that stove running quite awhile. I wonder if chainsaw chips from a well sharpened chain are too big to work.

Just guessing, but I think the moisture of the saw chips, and not the size would be the major holdup in a design like this. Not to mention the fact that at least for me, saw chips are usually found spread on dirt, grass, mud, snow, and other not so flammable stuff and hard to separate from it.

Kinda neat though, maybe a baby version to heat my saw stuff shed I've been meaning to get built.

I posted a short thread about seeing a Swedish Candle for the first time a few months ago. Looks like you have made pretty much the same thing I was talking about, just a little different twist on the process. Here is the link to the original post that has a link to someones method for making them. They are a lot of fun don't require much tending once they get going.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=127374&highlight=swedish+candle

Enjoy.

thanks for the re-link. i was just thinking of making one of those today for the campfires.

I just cut up a 30-inch-diameter white pine that blew over on our lake property and planned to split up the wood for campfire ring wood, but now I think I'll cut a few Swedish candles. We've got a big family GTG there over Memorial Day Weekend, and they'll be just the thing. I wonder if jamming a couple parrafin/sawdust firestarters (about the size of a golf ball) down the center will be enough fuel. Otherwise, lighter fluid or charcoal lighter. I hate the stink of diesel.

Thanks for the idea. I saw this yesterday. I have had some old dead elm cut up for a year that i left in longer 3ft lengths for campfire wood thats been sitting around for a year so i ripped a couple in 1/4ths last night like the Swedish Candle link. Only in quarters because the log was only about 10" diameter. First weekend camping this weekend too. Perfect timing. Curious to see how it works!

That sawdust stove is pretty cool Trex. It would be great for someone with a woodshop!

So many cool things to do and so little time.

Billy

Bit of a blast from the past but i did end up trying this. Got a log put 4 cuts in it, then shoved about 4 or 5 fire lighters down the center with a stick and away she went.
Lasted about 6 hours so well worth the minimal effort, and was really nice to sit around on a cool night and drink some rum.
Next time I will make the cut even closer to the bottom as it really does not burn down at all just sideways.

and since we all like pics

28052010457.jpg

28052010456.jpg

I've done a few of these. The key is DRY wood. I have cut an X through the wood to about 4" from the bottom and used lighter fluid to light it. Doesn't really matter how you start it - wax, diesel, noodles... The candles work very well and are pretty cool to look at. I have a few set aside for camping this summer.

Latest posts

Back