Butchered Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noble Zone

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Those of you who have been on this forum for a year may remember the butchered trees. The discussion almost caused a civil war between Tree Huggers and Urban Loggers. In case you don't remember...about this time last year, the power company sent out their trimmers for routine maintenance. They effectively destroyed a 100 year old white cedar and left a couple of maples hazardously hanging unbalanced over our house. They basically said they could do whatever they wanted because the trees were within the 40 foot easement. I did not accept that answer. At the time, the lawyers said it would take around three years to get a settlement. That was a year ago this week and we just reached an agreement. I can't give the financial details because of signing a non-disclosure agreement, but it was satisfactory :D
In two weeks, they will deliver a check and cut the trees according to my specifications (and I didn't make it easy on them). The wood will be cut for use as artistic carvings and woodworking. So far, we will have a piece big enough to make a table top. 3 - 12" long huge logs. And, several warped and knotted clusters. And, they aren't allowed to just drop them. They have to come down unbroken. They are doing complete clean-up and yard repair. And, they are cutting a check for an "undisclosed" amount. They aren't happy. :cry:
I just thought you might like an update of the turnout. The key was getting the Dept. of Agriculture involved. My attorney didn't even know that one. A real estate attorney I met at a party told me to contact them. Turns out, utilities borrow money from the DOA. Any utility that owes them money must abide by some rules. One of those rules pertains to not pissing off the general public. That's me...General Public. Once they got involved, things started moving much faster.
I'd like to thank all of you for your advise and comments. All the information I got from this forum was extremely helpful. I even want to thank the Urban Loggers for their negative comments. If it wasn't for you, I probably would have given up at some point, but your comments made me more determined to win. Just remember, it's your job to know what type of tree you're cutting, how to cut it properly, and what kind of damage you may be doing to the tree and it's owner.

Noble Zone said:
I even want to thank the Urban Loggers for their negative comments. If it wasn't for you, I probably would have given up at some point, but your comments made me more determined to win. Just remember, it's your job to know what type of tree you're cutting, how to cut it properly, and what kind of damage you may be doing to the tree and it's owner.
Excellent Advice to the clearance crews, to respect the trees they work on, and the people who own them. Most of the utility workers who post here do just that. Re your case,
Beautiful News; thanks so much for sharing it. I remember your case well, and thank you for passing on the info about the Ag Dept.

I wasn't on this Forum back in those days and just spent quite some time reading it.

What a good outcome and I commend you on your persistance and tolerance. When you know you are right you seldom will falter. And certainly you managed to keep your cool.

Good on you and thanks for dropping in and letting us know that. :)

Latest posts

Back