butternut hickory

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treesurgeon

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
does anyone sell butternut hickory as a hard wood in the northeast. i considered it as being too soft but someone wanted it today for burning.

does anyone sell butternut hickory as a hard wood in the northeast. i considered it as being too soft but someone wanted it today for burning.
or do you mean white walnut,also called butternut. If you have a good log the stuffs extremely valuable. I doubt theres any hickory that is soft.

i dont think its bitternut. bitternut should be harder. i am pretty sure its butternut. it has a white sap wood and darker heart wood like black walnut, but the heart wood is not a uniform dark color. its like a tanish brown thats not solid.

I haven't heard of that one. Shellbark, Shagbark, Pignut and Mockernut I've heard of. We have mostly Shagbark and Pignut at our place. There may be a couple of Mockernut.

white walnut=butternut

white walnut is the same as butternut. i confused myself with adding on the hickory part. but back to my original question, do people sell white walnut as a hard wood to heat a home?

Last edited:
well, it is a hardwood, so it's not like it's false advertising, but I've never put it into the mix. Mostly b/c even a lower grade log is going to bring you more money selling it to a mill then chopping it up. Plus, as you said, it is a bit softer compared to something like sugar maple or oaks. Most people that buy hardwoods prefer the harder stuff. Us western NYers have enough maples and oaks around that we tend to get a bit picky.

white walnut is the same as butternut. i confused myself with adding on the hickory part. but back to my original question, do people sell white walnut as a hard wood to heat a home?

Okay now I follow your story! Yes, Butternut is in the Walnut family and is also known as "White Walnut" or "Oilnut". It's about medium on the BTU scale-it burns, but it's not the worst nor the best. I'd say on a scale of 1 to 10 it's about a 6.5 or so.

Back